cat doo doo question

blaferbyJuly 6, 2013

Our disabled daughter can no longer care for her indoor cat, so he's now an outdoor cat. Stays close to home, and our vegetable garden has now become a gigantic litter box. Before committing to funding and cleaning a real outdoor litter box, I'm wondering if cat poop is actually toxic or otherwise harmful to vegetable plants and/or the food they produce?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Not to the plants, but cat feces can introduce numerous problems that can adversly affect human health. A food garden is not a good place for domestic pets feces.

Bookmark   July 7, 2013 at 6:22AM
lazy_gardens

It depends on what bacteria and parasites the cat has ... and his use of the garden is going to attract other cats.

Adult cats are unlikely to have toxoplasmosis, but I would worry a bit about E coli and the other enteric pathogens.

Why not put a litterbox for him on a porch?

Bookmark   July 7, 2013 at 8:05AM
woohooman

Or relocate the turds to another part of the yard and then go set the cat in that area. He/she might get the hint. It's worked for me.

Kevin

Bookmark   July 7, 2013 at 9:50AM
terrene(5b MA)

Over the years my cat(s) occasionally have liked to dig in the veggie garden, and I have laid down pieces of fencing over the freshly sown rows to prevent the cat from digging. You can also mulch the veggie garden with a good layer of straw or grass clippings and the cat won't have such easy soil to dig in.

Or perhaps create a spot that is easier digging for the cat and possibly train them to go there using Woohoo's method. My cat likes to go in areas that are fairly clear of weeds and lightly mulched with wood chips or leaves - it's pretty easy digging.

Bookmark   July 7, 2013 at 4:10PM
october17(5chgo)

Aside from solutions above, I think you just need to be sure to wash your veggies good. The plants won't uptake the e coli or any virus.

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 2:15PM
More Discussions
Seed meal for soil microorganism control
This article I about seed meal use in orchards but...
Michael
Broom corn millet-bulk for consumption?
Would anyone know of a source of bulk broom corn seed...
iowariver
Walking Down Memory Lane
I just clicked on the 'Sustaining Our Environment'...
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
Landscape fabric - safe for organic garden?
I'm planning on building wooden boxes, a la Square...
tooticky
Re aphids - don't ants eat aphids?
I found what I think are aphids on my Salvia. Only...
ellenr22
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™