What is your opinion on Pyola?

sniffmeisterAugust 5, 2007

My cucumber plant is covered with a yellow and brown disease that is eating holes in the leaves (the fruit is still producing).

I talked to an organic farmer at a farmer's market this morning and he told me to use Pyola on the leaves.

What are your thoughts on this, and can I still eat the fruit since it was sprayed with the Pyola?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Pyola is a pyrethron based broad spectrum pesticide that will not help if what you have is a fungal disease. However, since what you have is eating holes in the leaves it may well be an insect, but never start any control program with the most toxic substance available.
Look over the plant to see if you can see what is eating holes in the leaves and causing the leaves to turn yellow and brown, and then find the least toxic means of control for that and use that method. It might be as simple as a sharp water spray or hand squishing the culprit(s).

Bookmark   August 5, 2007 at 7:00AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lilacs_of_may

I tried Neem oil, diatomaceous earth, and hot pepper wax to no avail to fight my bug invasions. Spraying with either Spinosad or Pyola regularly (about once a week) is helping to keep the bugs at bay.

The instructions say that you can use Pyola up to the day before harvest. It breaks down fairly quickly.

Bookmark   August 7, 2007 at 11:27PM
More Discussions
Seed meal for soil microorganism control
This article I about seed meal use in orchards but...
Michael
Walking Down Memory Lane
I just clicked on the 'Sustaining Our Environment'...
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
Walking Down Memory Lane
I just clicked on the 'Sustaining Our Environment'...
Double Post
Sorry for the double post, but I am still learning...
Earth, A new wild
If you have not yet seen this series, there are 4 programs,...
kimmq
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™