Can potatoes be planted in August in Zone 5?

terry_upstate_ny(5)August 3, 2010

I just dug up about 5 lbs of potatoes that were volunteers from a few potatoes left in the ground from last year, when I planted a small potato patch. My DH roasted some of them on the BBQ with some oil brushed on them and they were great! Now I'd like to plant some of the smaller ones. I read a couple of articles that said you can plant potatoes in August and get Christmas potatoes, but I'm not sure what zone the authors of those articles were in. Here we usually have alot of snow by Chrismas. Does anyone know the best way to try this?

Terry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Potatoes generally require about 100 plus days to produce the crop so there is a possibility. People for years have heavily mulched root crops to protect them from freezing and left them where they grew until time to use.

Bookmark   August 3, 2010 at 6:55AM
pnbrown

It is not possible on several counts. Not enough time to frost is one. Declining sun right when the plant needs most sun is another. You might get a few tubers the size of blueberries.

Bookmark   August 3, 2010 at 7:13AM
Dan Staley

I read a couple of articles that said you can plant potatoes in August and get Christmas potatoes,

When you reread the articles, note the subtropical zones or greennhouses where this was done.

Dan

Bookmark   August 3, 2010 at 8:56AM
pnbrown

Yes, in north florida one can grow fall new potatoes, though jan/feb planted are more productive.

Bookmark   August 3, 2010 at 9:00AM
terry_upstate_ny(5)

I guess that I will mulch them heavily, I plan to cover the entire small garden with leaves in the fall.
I did put some cut up potatoes in a tub yesterday with four inches of compost over them. I wonder if I could bring the tub in the house when it gets cold and let them grow indoors?
Thank you for your responses.
Terry

Bookmark   August 4, 2010 at 2:55AM
ford860

Hi Terry,

I live in northern Jefferson County, NY and I planted one pound each of Yukon Gold and Pontiac potatoes last year at the beginning of August. I harvested them around Halloween and estimate production to be about one to two pounds per plant for a total of about fifty pounds.

The seed was planted about four inches down, then I mulched heavily with straw once the tops were about six inches tall. I covered the bed with plastic sheeting to keep growth going as late as possible. Potato sizes ranged from a half inch to four inches across, with the all but about three pounds in the two to three inch range. I was quite satisfied with the results, given the late date and the drought.

Jim

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 9:18AM
pnbrown

50 lbs from 2 lbs of seed? That is 2.5 times what professionals generally consider a good yield, and that when the plant is growing at the optimum time of year. Either you have discovered a miracle or your numbers are not remotely close to reality.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 6:35AM
terry_upstate_ny(5)

I would have to use shreaded leaves and pine needles to mulch with, the only straw I can get locally has too many seeds.
I am still growing a few potato plants, mostly from volunteer plants that pop up.
Terry

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 7:25AM
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana

To replant newly harvested potatoes, they might have to go through a dormant period first...adding to the unlikelyhood of a successful plantout.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 4:03PM
More Discussions
Has anyone tried this method to repel cabbage moths in their garden?
I came across this post on reddit the other day and...
tripleione
trustworthy organic fertilizer
Is Espoma truly an organic product company?
Linda Ziegler
Landscape fabric - safe for organic garden?
I'm planning on building wooden boxes, a la Square...
tooticky
Organic Hydoponic Nutrients
We grow organic vegetables in coco coir and are looking...
little sur farm
What, specifically, is the objection (of many) to Milorganite?
I know there used to be a problem or worry of a problem...
gonebananas_gw
Sponsored Products
Jamie Young Cut Glass Cylinder 24.5" High Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Multicolored Dog Bowl - Small (5-1/2" dia.)
$19.50 | FRONTGATE
Area Rug: Meredith Tan 3' 6" x 5' 6"
Home Depot
Beach Birdhouse
$27.99 | zulily
Thermostatic Chrome Tub Shower Mixer Bath Faucet & Anti Scald Device
Hudson Reed
Full Bloom Pouf
$149.99 | Dot & Bo
Tannery Bronze w/ Gold Accent Pendant/Semi Fl
PLFixtures
47 Inch Vanity Cabinet With Fitted Sink