Squash MOld

musickep(7)August 7, 2010

ok, I had mold get on the leaves of my zucinni and then also my other squash as well, the Acorn was next to it. Did it transfer because it was planted too close? Is it a disease or from too much rain/dampness? Learning alot here, thank you,

Kimberly

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

By mold I assume you mean powdery mildew, an extremely common mid- to late-season problem with any type of cucurbits (squashes, pumpkins, melons, cukes, etc.). It is often prompted by warm, moist, low light conditions and crowding or poor air circulation is often a contributing factor as well. Although there are many different types of PM, most specific to certain types of plants, few are considered to be much more than a cosmetic issue. One exception is the strain which infects the squashes and their relatives -- this can be fatal to the plants.

A proactive approach - treating before the symptoms appear - is generally considered the most effective. This should include good cultural controls as well as fungicidal treatments, organic or otherwise.

Here is a link that might be useful: powdery mildew on squashes

Bookmark   August 7, 2010 at 5:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Here is a link to organic control of Powdery Mildew.

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic control of PM

Bookmark   August 8, 2010 at 7:04AM
More Discussions
fraud?
This article may interest some here. http://www.naturalnews.com/048892_Altered_Genes_Twisted_Truth_biotech_science_fraud_Jane_Goodall.html kimmq...
kimmq
Organic Hydoponic Nutrients
We grow organic vegetables in coco coir and are looking...
little sur farm
Flowers and neonictinoids
I am in the Burbank California area. I have a small...
ltlredwagon
Septoria leaf spot: Help!... need advice!!
After having tomatoes that were the envy of the community...
forester7
Companion Planting Newbie Needs Help
Hi everyone! This is my first post here and I'm needing...
flutterby64
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™