Limp Watermelon vines

germination(5)August 7, 2010

I have sugarbaby watermelons and they have recently begun to get very limp as if they were thirsty but I am watering regularly every two days at least if no rain. There is no evident signs of bug damage at the stem or in the vines they were just limp looking and now some are dying off while others seem fine. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sandhill_farms(10 NV)

Do you have picture/s?

Greg
Nevada

Bookmark   August 7, 2010 at 2:37PM
Michael

Three things come to mind - 1) root damage due to excessive watering which leads to #2 2) water less frequently but deeper. How deep is the water penetrating when you water, a couple of inches probably isn't enough (don't know your soil type, I'll guess a clay) 3) root damage from nematodes, can't think of any other critter that would damage roots.

Bookmark   August 7, 2010 at 4:27PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

A number of things can cause melon leaves to wilt, Ahips, Squash Bugs, Squash Vine Borer, Fusarium Wilt, Bacterial Wilt, or too much soil moisture as well as too little soil moisture.

Bookmark   August 8, 2010 at 7:00AM
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana

I have had what Purdue calls "Sudden Wilt". They could not pin it down to any one thing. It appears to be a syndrone problem of perhaps a bit of fursarium wilt and other soil borne fungals. This sudden wilt will overnight wilt during the daytime and recover at night or on rainy days and after a couple weeks the plant is seriously hurt and in the meantime the plant cannot feed the nearly sized babies because of the stress to keep leaves hydrated. Classic fursarium wilt will strike in a more hit and miss pattern while sudden wilt hits the whole row [especially in lower and heavier soils] in unision.

Bookmark   August 9, 2010 at 12:57PM
praxxus55712(5a)

Whatever the problem is, it's going to be too late to do something VERY soon. I would mound soil over every inch of stem as possible. Keep the soil moist but NOT soggy at all. Watermelons will put out new roots where a stem is slightly buried in moist soil. If your main roots are screwed, this remedy might allow the plant to set down alternate roots in time to save the plant. Good luck! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Video demo of the procedure

Bookmark   August 9, 2010 at 4:41PM
More Discussions
My Onion Seedlings are not standing upright!!
I started my onion seeds March 1st and the germination...
mikeman824
Got tomatoes?
The organic Earthbox tomatoes have been coming in nicely...
MrClint
Flowers and neonictinoids
I am in the Burbank California area. I have a small...
ltlredwagon
Organic Hydoponic Nutrients
We grow organic vegetables in coco coir and are looking...
little sur farm
Soil Test - Help
Hi First Post! I cleared a piece of land last fall...
conda71
Sponsored Products
Couristan Eden Spring Blooms Ivory/Azure Area Rug - 0231/0031-4X6.2
Hayneedle
Safavieh Lyndhurst Collection Floral Burgundy/ Ivory Rug (8' x 11')
Overstock.com
Garden Fairy Vines Utensil Set
Classic Hostess
Felina Flushmount by Eurofase
$368.00 | Lumens
Tiffany-Style Fruit Antique Brass Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Dove Vines Flatweave Rug 9'6" x 13' - SKY BLUE
$1,449.50 | Horchow
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™