Cats in your garden

borderbarbAugust 3, 2010

Share this article with anyone you know who feeds feral cats or allows their pet cats to roam free into other's yards. It is more than just annoying.

In addition to the known effects of toxoplasmosis to other animals [children,pets,fetuses] a possible cause/effect for schizophrenia is being seriously studied.

BTW .. I am not one who expects my yard/garden to be as safe/sterile as an operating room.[hand/vegetable washing] But having seen birth defects and schizophernia up close, don't think cat feces are anything to ignore.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cat feces

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sandhill_farms(10 NV)

Our cat wanders through our gardens, she may even take a dump there once in awhile, I don't know. We have two acres and I can't possibly monitor her whereabouts at all times so what would you suggest? Frankly I'm personally not all that concerned about it in light of the big picture of this world and what's going on in it.

Greg
Nevada

Bookmark   August 3, 2010 at 4:31PM
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

My standard procedure for anyone silly enough to let their cats wander into my yard is a live trap, a trip to the shelter, and a posting on the mailbox/neighborhood board where the owner can find their precious Boots or Mittens.

Fortunately, here there are too many predators for cats to last long, and folks learn quickly that Puss eventually won't come back. Pet cats are among the important reasons for wild bird population reductions, and here it is nice that they don't last long in nature.

Dan

Bookmark   August 3, 2010 at 5:02PM
borderbarb

OK guys ... I promise to not keep harping on this subject. But found an article today that somewhat bears on the same subject. I would imagine that the disease organisms infecting our Sea Otters would come from ferel cats. Surely pet feces disposed in trash or even flushed wouldn't reach the ocean [?]
///
...snip....
One of those diseases is Toxoplasma gondii, which is spread to otters when the fecal matter of infected cats gets washed out to sea,
///
Re: unimportant compared to the big picture of what is going on in the world. I agree .. except that the big picture is made up of many small 'pixels' some of which are within the scope to be dealt with by mere mortals.
///
Actually, my main motive in posting this story was to aide those whose KIND HEARTED neighbors feed ferel cats. YIKES! Who treat the soft soil in your yard as catbox heaven.

Here is a link that might be useful: CA Sea Otter pop. decline

Bookmark   August 4, 2010 at 3:06PM
More Discussions
(un)Covering a Cover Crop?
I have a couple raised beds. Last fall, I planted a...
bassopotamus
organic way to be rid of rain barrel squigglies
I have squigglies in my rain barrels, probably they...
applemum
Broom corn millet-bulk for consumption?
Would anyone know of a source of bulk broom corn seed...
iowariver
Papaya Trees
I'm getting ready to plant a few papaya trees in my...
janellelee
Walking Down Memory Lane
I just clicked on the 'Sustaining Our Environment'...
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™