To Get Lady Slippers to Bloom

GundeJune 27, 2011

I am new to the forum. Your help will be VERY APPRECIATED!

I live in Las Vegas and over the years have purchased many orchids from Trader Joe�s Market. The orchids are kept in a 78 degree F room during most of the year. Most shot up a spike and bloomed without the twenty-degree night-day temperature differential that is supposed to be required to trigger a new spike. After the blooms were finished, I cut the "spikes". All have been fed following the directions on the orchid food bottle. All bloomed again the next year EXCEPT the lady slipper orchids. We had a real spring in Las Vegas this year, so I put the slippers outside for several weeks to no avail. Still no spikes and no blooms. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bob8_gw

If you have good roots on the lady slippers (just gently pull them from the pot to check) then the normal answer would be the amount of light that they are recieiving. I would SLOWLY move them into brighter light a few feet at a time. I live in N.Y. so am not a tooned to your weather. Normally, many of us would try to get them outside in the warmer weather, but I don't think that would be appropriate for you heat.

Let me know how you make out when you check the roots. Many people tend to overwater paphs. I assume we are talking about paphs. and not phrags. that need to stay wet all of the time.

Bookmark   June 28, 2011 at 8:21AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jamcm(Ottawa Area, Canada)

I would also add that Lady Slippers are notoriously slow growers. And some only bloom every other year. Plus, some are cooler/lower light growers, while others like warmer temperatures/higher light. It might be helpful to know which lady slipper you have - was there a tag in the plant, or otherwise, are the leaves just green or mottled, and was there more than one flower?

Julie

Bookmark   June 29, 2011 at 3:03PM
More Discussions
Spotted-leaf Lady Slipper?
I just bought a couple out-of-bloom orchids at my local...
litchfieldgardener
stanhopea
I'd like to try growing the stanhopea orchid. do you...
greendale63
Where to buy sphagnum moss?
Hi all, Where can I buy this for my orchid? I live...
ninjali
what other plants can you use kieke power pro on?
I brought this stuff and applied it to one of my orchids...
tlbean2004
Massachusetts - Amherst Orchid Society Show
HI Folks: Since I cannot figure out if there is a calendar...
garlicgrower
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™