Orchid flower stalk

fairviewfarm(4a)June 28, 2010

I have a phaelenopsis orchid sending out a new flower stalk. I've been told that while the stalk is forming to not turn the plant as it disrupts the flower formation. I couldn't verify this information in my orchid book or on the web. What is your opinion or experience?

If I shouldn't turn it during formation, can I turn it once the individual flower buds are formed? The stalk has grown toward the light (window) but I'd like to turn it so that the flowers face into the room so I can see them better as they open.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kwmackdog

JMO, i stake the spike as it grows but i don't turn it until it begins to bloom. I usually let it bloom one or two flowers in the original position and then i move them to some other part of the downstairs to enjoy the flowering. i grow them on windowsills, but place them in loads of other places. that's just me, others may have different experiences. good luck with your new obsession * big devilish grin*

Bookmark   June 28, 2010 at 12:09PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
philohela(z8 Las Vegas)

If you move the plant as the buds are forming, they will turn towards the light. Wait until they are opening, then place the plant where you'd like to see the flowers. And enjoy!

Bookmark   June 28, 2010 at 11:18PM
More Discussions
my phalenopsis is dead or almost anythimg I can do
i hah a phal with air roots and regular roots. the...
ekkiemom
Short spikes? Causes?
I did get quite a few of my Phals to set spikes , but...
dakota01
Brassavola "Little stars" vendor
Any suggestions for US vendors? A Google search found...
bea
It is show time!
Show season is in full swing. In my area I have noticed...
Darlene (GreenCurls)
Is this a spike?
I know what Phal spikes look like, but am new to these......
suzabanana (6b Boston)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™