Is this a fungus? Blackspots on lilac tree

singsanctusAugust 7, 2010

This is a Texas lilac vitex, we had it planted planted about a month and a half ago. New house- that's when they landscaped so we could close. Otherwise I wouldn't have chosen the middle of summer. It's doing fairly well, but it's come up with a problem. I really have no idea what this is. Advice please?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
singsanctus

Oh- we had put some cornmeal and SBM down on the lawn, that's the white powdery stuff you see.

Bookmark   August 7, 2010 at 4:39PM
gardengal48

Vitex agnus-castus or chaste tree (NOT lilac) is pretty much resistant to most insects or dieases. I cannot locate any resource that refers to a fungal leaf spot that is common to this plant. It is more likely that this is some sort of physiological spotting or evidence of some insect damage (minor). In either case, it is nothing to be concerned about......this is a very hardy, durable plant with minimal care issues other than a requirement for sun and good drainage/even moisture.

Bookmark   August 7, 2010 at 5:36PM
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

Hard to tell with fotos provided, but I can picture chaste tree getting a little fungus down there, esp with lawn overspray. But that tree is very tough and will outgrow anything. Not to worry.

Dan

Bookmark   August 7, 2010 at 6:43PM
singsanctus

Thank you. I will do my best not to worry about it then!

Trying not to kill this plant with love, it's one of my favorites.

Bookmark   August 7, 2010 at 7:13PM
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

Mine at the house in Sacramento was once accidentally cut down at ~3ft high at ~25-30 years old, and two years later it was 14h x 20w, 3 years near full size. I used to put a chair under it just to hear the white noise of all the bees.

Dan

Bookmark   August 7, 2010 at 9:13PM
More Discussions
Too cold to compost?
I live in southern Oregon. Day temps are mid-40s; night...
roguejim
Organic way to get rid of Bermuda grass
Probably a hopeless cause, but is there any way to...
kathyp
Papaya Trees
I'm getting ready to plant a few papaya trees in my...
janellelee
Re aphids - don't ants eat aphids?
I found what I think are aphids on my Salvia. Only...
ellenr22
Walking Down Memory Lane
I just clicked on the 'Sustaining Our Environment'...
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™