Orchid noob needs advice on my new orchid

Moosetrackz(9)June 5, 2012

Hi everyone.

I've never been good at growing orchids. The first 3 house plants I got when I moved out were orchid that promptly died soon after I got them. Its all me I know. Most likely I killed them with over watering. Anyway that was more than a year ago and I've learned a lot and have a thriving garden but never really tried orchids again until recently. I have 2 phal orchids that are doing fine but have never rebloomed. Both grew new leaves though.

Anyway, so my real question is about a new orchid I got at a farmers market. Its huge and beautiful, for $7 I thought I'd give it a try even though I have no idea what kind of orchid it is or how to care for it.

I live in southern California and its been in the 75-80+ for temp, usually 75 or more inside. Its in a west facing window that receives bright light this time of year most of the day with a little direct sun from about 3 to 6 or 7. Its in a plastic is orchid pot I have not watered it yet. Got it about 3 days ago.

I would just like to know what kind of orchid it is and what kind of care it needs. Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
richardol(Santa Royale CA)

It is Colmanara Wildcat 'Green Valley' most probably. It is certainly a Wildcat and it looks just like my 'Green Valley'.

It is an Oncidium hybrid with very long lasting flowers. Water well then no water until the next time. Let it get dry but lot completely. Look up the 'pencil test' in the FAQ.

This is meant to be a house plant and does very well indoors.

Bookmark   June 5, 2012 at 2:26PM
orchidnick

What kind of pot is this? Does it have a lot of drainage? If not, switch to an orchid pot that does. In SOCAL that plant should do well outside, summer and winter. Under normal conditions water it once a week. Santa Anas are coming, when hot, water it every 3 days. Absolutely no direct sun. It's a nice plant, amazing that they can bring this to market for $7 and make money.

Nick

Bookmark   June 5, 2012 at 11:53PM
Moosetrackz(9)

Its in a plastic orchid pot and is just placed in the bigger pot for looks and to stabilize it since its so tall. I thought the same thing about the price! They had all different kinds for really cheap. All huge and nothing over $10. I should have got 2 but Im not really good at orchids yet and wasn't sure about how well it would do. Thanks for the advice. I really like this plant and want it to do well. How often do these rebloom? Ive never been able to get my phals to rebloom before :(

Bookmark   June 6, 2012 at 3:25PM
More Discussions
orcid roots really short
do i need to worry alot about not getting the plant...
Katie Parker
Phal Question...Should I do it??
Ok... somebody either stop me or tell me to go with...
scorpgirl24
Need help with Phal
I bought a Phal at HD yesterday I was attracted to...
elizabethk1
Orchid potting mix?
Anyone ever used al's gritty mix as orchid potting...
Britni Rice
My Orchids need help!!!
I have had these orchids for almost a year now. I have...
alexandraaaaa
Sponsored Products
Zemo 1 Ceiling/Wall Light by Eglo
$108.00 | Lumens
Besa Lighting Jodi 2WM-673006 Bathroom Vanity Light - 2WM-673006-BR
$477.00 | Hayneedle
Varaluz Argyle 5-light New Bronze Pendant
Overstock.com
Flax Vanity Chair
Cost Plus World Market
Small Flower Market Compote
$72.00 | Horchow