Scale on Peace Lilies

cnslr81August 3, 2008

Hello everyone! I'm copying this post from "houseplants" since I wasn't receiving any replies.

I wanted to know if anyone has good ways of getting rid of and preventing scale on peace lilies. I have a large peace lily in my office at work, and every few months or so scale appears on the stalks. I did you an insectidable soap on and off for years and would cut off the leaves/stalks with scale. I'm afraid my attempts merely rid the scale that is visable, but I'm not certain if there are eggs somewhere in the plant.

As said above, the plant is large and in my office (second floor), so I typically try to do my best taking care of the plant in the office without having to have it leave the building. I did have to repot it a few years ago, and it was a bit challenging carrying it up and down the stairs, let alone having it sit in my car without dirt getting on the seats/floor.

Additionally, I do have Organicide which would probably work, however it has a great amount of neem oil in it. I'm not a fan of neem oil yet while I tolerate it at home,I wouldn't want to have to stink up the office with it and make my colleague suffer. Any other suggestions?

Sarah

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alfie_md6

If you could take it outside, you could spray it with horticultural oil. This is not a permanent cure, but it should keep you going for at least half a year.

Another thing you can do is, when you're composing (where I work, they call it "crafting" - ick!) an e-mail and get stuck about what to say next, inspect your peace lily instead, and if you see any scale, wipe it off with a Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol.

Bookmark   August 4, 2008 at 5:25PM
cnslr81

Thanks, I did wipe off all of the stems with alcohol today. I sprayed it with some insecticidal soap afterward. I will just keep my fingers crossed now.

Sarah

Bookmark   August 4, 2008 at 9:18PM
michelle1977(9 N FL)

I am new to gardening ... so just a warning. :-) I was advised to put coffee grounds in the soil around my sago palm and pos. even spray it with a diluted coffee to coat the leaves to prevent scale. I am not even sure what scale is or if it would be the same for your peace lily.. so.. maybe some of you experienced people could back me up.. or explain why it this is not good.

Bookmark   August 6, 2008 at 8:36PM
cnslr81

Michelle, good idea. You know, I compost my coffee grinds at home and I haven't even thought of bringing some into work.

Sarah

Bookmark   August 6, 2008 at 9:30PM
More Discussions
Organic Hydoponic Nutrients
We grow organic vegetables in coco coir and are looking...
little sur farm
Too cold to compost?
I live in southern Oregon. Day temps are mid-40s; night...
roguejim
Clear differences between organic and non-organic food, study fin
"Clear differences between organic and non-organic...
henry_kuska
Walking Down Memory Lane
I just clicked on the 'Sustaining Our Environment'...
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
Caterpillars - removing them the humane way
I have a small organic garden plot in my backyard (which...
kapha
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™