Help! Severely Compacted Roots!

WNYorchidJune 26, 2011

Hello,

A few months ago I attended an Orchid show and purchased a few of them. One is labeled dendrobium thyrsiflorum. I have done some reading up on this species but cannot figure out what to do next. I went to repot a "Love Passion" orchid only to find it full of bugs and mostly dead. I bought it from a grower at the show and didn't think I needed to worry. When I took it out of the pot I saw that it seemed there was too much medium stuffed in with it and no room for movement or breathing. I then went to check on the dendrobium thyrsiflorum and founds its roots so heavily compacted that they are growing flat (not round) and I cant loosen the roots from around the medium. They are stuck together! There are some rotting roots and I am not sure what my next move should be in order to save the plant. Help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
xmpraedicta(3b Saskatoon)

Actually, having roots compacted is normal and even desired with some dendrobium species...in fact, some may not bloom if they are not root bound enough! Could you perhaps post some photos?

Bookmark   June 29, 2011 at 12:07AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
orchid126(z6, NJ)

Like calvin orchidlover says, dendrobiums are notorious for liking tight shoes. They sometimes grow so many roots that there is no longer any medium visible. When I go to repot I don't even try to untangle the mass of roots, I just pot up to a slightly larger size pot. Notice I said slightly larger. Dens bloom better with tight pots.

Bookmark   June 30, 2011 at 3:33PM
More Discussions
V. Kriangkrai yellow
Hi these is the first V. Kriangkrai yellow i have....
yenika_zone10 Miami, Fl
my phalenopsis is dead or almost anythimg I can do
i hah a phal with air roots and regular roots. the...
ekkiemom
Orchids, please help
Need help for my lost Orchid food. I used "Safer,...
woofcar
Where to buy sphagnum moss?
Hi all, Where can I buy this for my orchid? I live...
ninjali
Exchange forum
Is the exchange forum still sponsored on Houzz? If...
Darlene (GreenCurls)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™