How to prevent winter bud blast

Bumblebeez SC Zone 7June 25, 2011

My 3 phals all bloom in the winter when our heat indoors is erratic. Cold at night, then warmer during the day and we have a gas fireplace that we use that does raise the temperature in the house immediately.

So each year, I get tons of buds that fall off. Most of them. Depressing!!

I am keeping the plants in a back bedroom away from a window and away from the fireplace.

If I bought a large cloche or lantern (popular right now) to keep the orchids in, do you think that would work?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arthurm(Sydney, NSW AUST)

When you say cold at night and warmer during the day what sort of temp readings are you getting?

Bookmark   June 25, 2011 at 10:04PM
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

At night it might be between 62 and 64 and during the day it varies but perhaps at times, 70. When we run the fireplace, it might get 75.

I can't really change the way we heat but I can cover the orchids, move them or just wait for the occasional second spring bloom.

Either way, I can't really enjoy them in the back bedroom.

Bookmark   June 25, 2011 at 11:06PM
orchid126(z6, NJ)

Sometimes I blamed bud blast on humidity. I found that misting the air over the buds (not misting the buds directly) and letting it drift down on them helped. If not, I cut the flower spike to just above the highst bud and waited for secondary blooms which usually came after the heat was turned off.

Bookmark   June 28, 2011 at 4:30PM
arthurm(Sydney, NSW AUST)

Actually, i'm surprised that you have winter blooms. If you have them on an annual bloom cycle, they should initiate a new spike in late Autumn or winter and then bloom approx. 110 days later. This comment of course only relates to the pink or white standard hybrids.

In the past there have been comments about Gas fumes....?

Bookmark   June 28, 2011 at 4:45PM
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

I appreciate your replies. I will have to look up gas fumes too. I'll try the mister but I think I'm going to try a cloche too.

I do cut back the spikes after the first bloom and usually get to enjoy the second, small, round of blooms.
I keep them outside all summer and might get another bloom then too.

As far as bloom time, can I control that?
All three are purple or white hybrids. Nothing special but very healthy and pretty.

Bookmark   June 29, 2011 at 11:03AM
More Discussions
Brassavola "Little stars" vendor
Any suggestions for US vendors? A Google search found...
bea
my phalenopsis has a baby orchid on the stem
what do i do? I've never seen this before
ekkiemom
Phal yellowing.... bottom two leaves, interior roots, base of crown
I received this phal as a Valentine's Day present,...
kmaxxy
Need help with my Ice Cube Orchid
I received an Ice Cube Orchid from a friend. It did...
DeLynn Kreinbrook
It is show time!
Show season is in full swing. In my area I have noticed...
Darlene (GreenCurls)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™