Neat Vinegar

michelle1977(9 N FL)August 6, 2008

Hi Guys, I normally post on the FL forum..

what is "neat" vinegar? and I seen that normal household vinegar is 5% and it can be used to kill weeds... but a stronger one would be needed for some... where would I get stronger vinegar? and I assume I would need to be very careful b/c it could harm my good plants??? also, would it get into my soil and mess it up?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

I usually take mine on the rocks...no, wait, that's apple cider. Not sure what neat vinegar is. I have found a cleaning vinegar (7%) in the cleaners aisle of some stores and there is a higher % out there that I've never bought. Yes, you would need to be careful with it as it is not a selective killer. Paint it on the leaves of what you want to kill (cut leaves absorb it more). It is an acid, after all, and could burn the roots of desired plants if it got into the soil in quantity.

tj

Bookmark   August 6, 2008 at 10:02PM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

Looks like neat vinegar is just what it sounds like- undiluted, straight vinegar.

tj

Bookmark   August 6, 2008 at 10:07PM
michelle1977(9 N FL)

Thank you!!

Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 7:41PM
welsh_gardener(9)

Undiluted, distilled white vinegar is sometimes described as "Neat Vinegar."

Adapted From GoSelfSufficient.co.uk-
http://www.goselfsufficient.co.uk/homemade-cleaning-products.html

Homemade Cleaning Products - White distilled vinegar is a malt vinegar and has a very pungent odor and while it is believed that white distilled vinegar is the most suitable cleaning vinegar the smell just isn't easy to cope with. White Spirit vinegar has the same 5% acidity, its cleaning properties are identical to that of white distilled but its smell is milder and easier to mask. White spirit vinegar is brewed from molasses and contains no chemicals.

Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 9:47PM
greeness

I have heard of a20% white vinegar ued to kill weeds. Neat or not, it's stronger than the stuff we keep in the kitchen. Sorry to say i have no idea where to get it.

Bookmark   August 10, 2008 at 8:24PM
sassymesclunsalad

To kill weeds, what you are looking for is call horticultural vinegar.

Bookmark   August 11, 2008 at 9:13AM
katefisher(Z7_NorthernCA)

I use household vinegar to kills weeds. Works great. If I'm putting it someplace that I never intend to grow anything I add some salt and dish soap (as a binder).

If I think I might plant something else in the space I'm spraying eventually I skip the salt. I have a geriatric cat who gets into everything I do so I don't use Round-Up but this concoction instead. You do have to be quite careful of any existing plants you wish to keep.

Kate

Bookmark   August 11, 2008 at 1:48PM
skagit_goat_man_(WA)

Neat is the correct term for what most of us call a herd of cattle. Neats Foot Oil was made from cattle feet. Perhaps neat vinegar is cattle urine. Tom

Bookmark   August 12, 2008 at 11:51AM
More Discussions
Walking Down Memory Lane
I just clicked on the 'Sustaining Our Environment'...
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
Broom corn millet-bulk for consumption?
Would anyone know of a source of bulk broom corn seed...
iowariver
Walking Down Memory Lane
I just clicked on the 'Sustaining Our Environment'...
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
This article may be of interest to some here
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/home/why-your-garden-needs-fertilizer--or-not/2015/02/10/153eb5b8-ad6e-11e4-ad71-7b9eba0f87d6_story.html kimmq...
kimmq
Organic way to get rid of Bermuda grass
Probably a hopeless cause, but is there any way to...
kathyp
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™