potting orchids

mommy115(9)June 10, 2012

I have read some posts on repotting orchids (I have 2 phaleanopsis)That mention some kind of "net" under or within the roots. I can't find that referenced now. What is this "net", how do I position it correctly, and why does it help?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jane__ny(9-10)

I don't know what you read about using a net. Some people use packing peanuts to fill the bottom of a pot and put the peanuts in a net bag. I don't know if that's what you read.

Putting a net over drain holes keeps the media from washing out - maybe you read that? You can use netting in a wood basket to hold the media...

Sorry,
Jane

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 7:53PM
mommy115(9)

Thanks again Jane. I spent a lot of time on the internet today and think what I previously saw was concerning the nets used for semi hydroponics. I'm curious, Have you ever grown phals in a clear orchid pot? It sounds somewhat logical to me as it would be easy to tell when it needed watering. Have you, or anyone else reading this, had any luck with this? I'm also wondering if the "oxygen dual core orchid pots" would work better. I'm going to post a separate post on that question.

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 11:45PM
jane__ny(9-10)

I use clear pots for a lot of orchids. I like to see whats going on too. I also use them for some of my smaller dirt-plants...same reasoning.

Jane

Bookmark   June 12, 2012 at 12:33AM
mommy115(9)

I made a lot of calls in my area today and stopped in some nurseries. Can't find the clear pots except on the internet. The S&H for the internet is ridiculous when you only need a couple of pots.

Bookmark   June 12, 2012 at 12:55AM
jane__ny(9-10)

They are not necessary. You can use Chinese take-out containers or Zip-lock containers. Just cut a bunch of holes in them.

Jane

Bookmark   June 12, 2012 at 11:17PM
mommy115(9)

ty I think I will try something like that. First I'll see how they do with my current set up. You are so helpful!

Bookmark   June 13, 2012 at 1:22AM
More Discussions
is orcid doomed? (is it doomed by over watering?
I have a Phalaenopsis orcid and I live in eastern Iowa...
Katie Parker
Best way to grow vanilla orchid?
My vanilla cutting is starting get long so it's time...
kyrri
What's wrong with my Oncidium Howard's Dream?
So I divided and repotted this Onc. about a month ago....
chidali83
Should I take the Orchid plunge???
We recently moved to Costa Rica from the states and...
dreamskape
Orchid potting mix?
Anyone ever used al's gritty mix as orchid potting...
Britni Rice
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™