Protection from caliche dust

SoTX(8b/9a)September 29, 2011

Is there a product I can coat leaves of trees and plants with that will protect them from caliche dust? The oil companies are here and big trucks are throwing up serious dust (toxic) killing my plants & trees. I've lost 11 fruit trees, all my blackberries, etc. Rinsing them off does little good with trucks running 24/7. Dust control is mandated by EPA but I've been stuck in bureaucratic BS for months with no action, meanwhile losing my groceries. Any help on this is much appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
    Bookmark   September 29, 2011 at 3:15PM
gonebananas_gw

I am astounded that caliche dust would be or would be thought to be toxic. I have never seen the abundant limestone dust from quarries or limestone roads suspected of the least harm except as a nuisance. Is it so dry there that you somehow have a high sodium content?

Bookmark   September 30, 2011 at 9:12AM
SoTX(8b/9a)

Caliche=sodium nitrate et al--toxic to humans, animals and plants. It took me six months and way more than I can afford to get hair back on my dogs--all 4 get meds daily. The road in question was a dead end with no traffic & less than 75' from my home, plus I am downwind. Exceptional drought here.

Bookmark   September 30, 2011 at 12:44PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Don't know if this will help, but here's info from Arizona Master Gardener Manual
http://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/garden/mg/soils/caliche.html

Here is a link that might be useful: caliche from Arizona Master Gardener Manual

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 12:42AM
gonebananas_gw

I'll be darned. I see now that half the definitions of "caliche" refer to the calcium carbonate soil zone I knew about and half refer to the sodium nitrate type. I can see how that would be a problem. You could never get sodium nitrate to dry here, even in drought: it would pull the moisture right out of the air to dampen itself (at least at night even in drought).

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 10:22AM
borderbarb

Are these trucks driving on dirt roads? If so, I'm wondering why the oil company can't be required to pave [oil] the road. Also can you document [with video or still pictures] the daily accumulation of caliche dust? Are other people being adversely affected? If so, combining your efforts to contact health dept, state,county,fed officials might prove effective. Good luck!

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 10:28AM
SoTX(8b/9a)

gonebananas:
Yes, and pulls the moisture right out of the plants.

borderbarb:
I have contacted everyone but Obama! Dealing with Big Oil, remember? Raping the land & then will move on. In the midst of extreme drought, they take as much water as they want to frack. I haven't given up, but I need a way to protect what's left of what took years to create. No, I have not given them an oil lease on this place & called the law (3x) when they came over my fences--barbed wire and hotwire--anyway. Fortunately, I have 4 security dogs.

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 6:24PM
Belgianpup(Wa/Zone 7b)

I'm not familiar with the problem, but would covering the plants with something like mosquito netting help at all? Then go by and shake them as you're coughing behind your respirator?

Sue

Bookmark   October 3, 2011 at 2:49AM
More Discussions
Clear differences between organic and non-organic food, study fin
"Clear differences between organic and non-organic...
henry_kuska
Papaya Trees
I'm getting ready to plant a few papaya trees in my...
janellelee
Organic Plant Surfactant
I'm currently trying to decide on a surfactant to use...
knowboddy
Walking Down Memory Lane
I just clicked on the 'Sustaining Our Environment'...
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
Landscape fabric - safe for organic garden?
I'm planning on building wooden boxes, a la Square...
tooticky
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™