Organic Fertilizer unopened bag, use it now or...?

prairiemoon2 z6 MASeptember 11, 2011

I bought some organic fertilizer back in early summer when it was on sale and then got too busy to pay much attention to the garden this year. I'm thinking it may be too late to add fertilizer, right? I wouldn't want to start new growth in any plants going into the winter? I'm talking about shrubs and perennials, not vegetables. I just don't want to waste it and not sure how potent it will be if I keep it in the basement all winter. Any advice? Thanks..

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Now probably would not be a good time to spread that around but in a few weeks, as the plants are entering dormancy could be. That would be better then putitng the bag in the basement where it may get forgotten for years.
Compost could be spread now, but not a fertilizer that may bew fairly soluble and readily available.

Bookmark   September 11, 2011 at 6:50AM
rosiew(8 GA)

prairiemoon, you didn't say what brand you bought, but I use Milorganite and it stores beautifully. Early spring probably your best bet. You're right to be cautious now.

Bookmark   September 11, 2011 at 7:44AM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

Thanks, I think I bought a couple of different kinds of Espoma, I wonder if that is soluble or more long acting?

Bookmark   September 11, 2011 at 7:59AM
diane_nj 6b/7a

The Espoma "-tone" products have some fast-acting nitrogen and the rest are meals that require a warmer soil to decompose. There is no need to apply now. I have bags of Espoma Rose-tone in my garage from two years ago that I haven't used yet. If needed, store in a plastic bin with a tight lid, it will be fine to use next year.

Bookmark   September 11, 2011 at 4:00PM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

Thanks Diane, I forget which ones I have, Rosetone might be one of them. I thought I read somewhere over the summer that you shouldn't store fertilizer in the garage over the winter because if it freezes it effects it in a way that makes it less effective? So I was going to put mine in the basement over the winter. Have you heard anything about that?

Bookmark   September 11, 2011 at 8:15PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

If the fertilizer is a liquid freezing might have an adverse affect on it, but if the stuff is dry freezing will have no affect at all on it.

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 6:38AM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

great, thanks... :-)

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 9:21AM
More Discussions
Flowers and neonictinoids
I am in the Burbank California area. I have a small...
ltlredwagon
Caterpillars - removing them the humane way
I have a small organic garden plot in my backyard (which...
kapha
Landscape fabric - safe for organic garden?
I'm planning on building wooden boxes, a la Square...
tooticky
Informal mycorrhizae trials thread
Background: As a result of the mycorrhizae discussion...
ralleia
opinion on Martha Stewart organic seeds?
i can't seem to get any information on them. Really...
rathdrumid
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™