Cyc Jean E. Monnier - any hope?

whitecat8(z4 MN)June 6, 2012

Last fall, I stopped watering this poor thing in mid-October, about 6 weeks early for Minnesota. For the first time, the new growth didn't appear at the bottom of last year's growth but at the top - perhaps a sign the plant was in trouble.

In the last 10 days or so, the roots on the new growth lost signs of life, and the bottom of last year's growth shriveled completely. During that time, I could see the sphag was still moist and didn't look more closely.

The JEM hasn't been repotted this year, so it's way overpotted. Could it help any to put it in a much smaller quantity of sphag and keep it barely damp? Stake last year's growth so it's vertical? Cut off that 2nd, older growth? Something else?

If you think there's a 1% chance of the plant making it, I'll give it a try.

Thanks much, WhiteCat8

At night, the CFLs make things look yellowish.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jane__ny(9-10)

Did you try spritzing the roots on the keki? If the mother plant died, it is probably not providing any support to the baby.

Jane

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 12:31AM
whitecat8(z4 MN)

Thanks Jane. Maybe simpler than I'm making it. WC

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 10:46AM
jane__ny(9-10)

I have a favorite Dend which is dying. It produced 2 keikis which are growing well, but the canes they are attached to are beginning to dry out. I've been spritzing the roots of the keikis and they look very healthy and are growing well. I'm leaving them because I want them to get a good root system before detaching.

I mention spritzing because I've noticed a lot of improvement in growth since I started supplementing. Hopefully your keiki is still viable.

Good luck,
Jane

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 7:43PM
More Discussions
How do I grow my Dendrobium Aggregatum orchid
Hi everyone so I am good with phals, but I recently...
velleta tardiel
Orchids, please help
Need help for my lost Orchid food. I used "Safer,...
woofcar
Eria convalarioides, new growths or spikes?
First time to grow an eria. This plant has over 15...
Sheila
my phalenopsis is dead or almost anythimg I can do
i hah a phal with air roots and regular roots. the...
ekkiemom
what other plants can you use kieke power pro on?
I brought this stuff and applied it to one of my orchids...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™