Dendrobium orchid - flowers gone - now what?

orchid_girl_07June 9, 2007

I received 3 dendrobium orchids for a house warming gift. They had lovely flowers on them and now have dropped off. What do I do now? With my Phalaenopsis, I know to cut back at the last node...but what do I do with these Dendrobium orchids? DO I cut the stem that the flowers were growing on? HELP!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
    Bookmark   June 9, 2007 at 7:59PM
jane__ny(9-10)

If the flowers were on a long spike, but it off when finished. It won't flower again.

Bookmark   June 9, 2007 at 10:38PM
jane__ny(9-10)

sorry, meant 'cut.' I guess that's why they have a preview button.

Bookmark   June 9, 2007 at 10:39PM
orchid_girl_07

So cut off the long spike where the flowers use to be? To where? As you can see I am clueless... I do have new canes and those will hopefully flower, right?

Bookmark   June 10, 2007 at 7:08AM
richardol(Santa Royale CA)

I like to cut the spike fairly short but leave enough so that I can see that the flowering occurred since one mark of good culture is that every new growth flowers.

Dendrobiums need quite a bit of light to grow well. To get it to flower again, you will need to have a growing area which will likely not be the same as the area where you had them to display.

Bookmark   June 10, 2007 at 10:05AM
orchid_girl_07

Thank you! I will move them to a sunnier window and continue to water and fertilize...any other tips?

Bookmark   June 10, 2007 at 11:34AM
terrysealey(UK)

What type of Den do you have? Some (nobile types) flower along the length of the cane with flowers comming off all along it. Do NOT cut this type back.

Others bloom in a similar way to a phal with a spike comming out of the top of the cane. This spike carries all of the flowers well clear of the cane itself. This spike can be cut back within an inch or so of the cane when it has finished blooming.

Bookmark   June 10, 2007 at 11:56AM
jane__ny(9-10)

If your plant has spikes similar to these, cut them down near the leaves of the cane.

Bookmark   June 10, 2007 at 11:59PM
ifraser25(z11 Brazil)

DONT cut the stem. Many will reflower, even if they have no leaves and by cutting into the living tisue you always risk introducing disease.. The only canes I remove on mine are those that are shriveled and dead. If your plant shows no sign of new stems growing from the base, keep it dry for a while then water when it starts to regrow, which should be soon.

Bookmark   June 12, 2007 at 11:48PM
jane__ny(9-10)

I thought I was clear, cut the spikes (flowering stems) not the canes! My photo is showing the flowering spikes, cut them off when finished.

Jane

Bookmark   June 13, 2007 at 10:32AM
More Discussions
Phal yellowing.... bottom two leaves, interior roots, base of crown
I received this phal as a Valentine's Day present,...
kmaxxy
Phal skipped bloom this year
My Phalenopsis, which has bloomed regularly each year,...
robtj
Massachusetts - Amherst Orchid Society Show
HI Folks: Since I cannot figure out if there is a calendar...
garlicgrower
Dendrobium in potting moss
I have this two new babies in my collection. I noticed...
yenika_zone10 Miami, Fl
Orchids, please help
Need help for my lost Orchid food. I used "Safer,...
woofcar
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™