Meiracyllium trinasutum

papillon1June 17, 2012

I've had this plant since March and it was doing well, got a new growth and is about to bloom. I recently put it outside for the summer. I have not changed my watering routine but the leaves are beginning to get shriveled. Do you think it is not getting enough water or too much? The vendor said it was kind of succulent & could miss a day without water. The leaves are kinds fleshy. (I water it every day)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
orchidnick

I have had it for over 10 years and cannot make it happy. Makes new leaves, looses old ones barely gaining ground. It blooms but it does not look like a happy plant. I tried it in the warm GH, same. I'm ready to throw in the towel, it just does not seem to like me no matter what I do. But it won't die either just keeps hanging around to irritate me.

Nick

Bookmark   June 17, 2012 at 11:10PM
cjwatson(Z8 FL)

Nick, I have both Meiracyllium species and after struggling similar to you, I realized these plants don't want ANY water at all. They hang, mounted on wood, in my GH and, except for an accidental misting or squirt with the hose while watering plants nearby, they don't get any water. Once I figured that out, they grew like weeds.

My GH is not particularly humid, running 50-60% on the average. Temps vary from a low of 55-60F in winter, to summer highs of 85F -- sometimes a rare climb to 90F.

In the past, when I would try to water them, whole sides of the plants would drop leaves and start to rot. Even today, if they get seriously wet, they will drop a few leaves. But since I stopped watering them, they have grown very well, bloomed very well.

Oh, and they are just a few feet from a fan.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 9:52AM
papillon1

Thanks so much CJ - I was wondering if maybe I was watering too much, but when I see shriveling leaves I think not enough water. I will try drought conditions and see how it goes.
Nick glad to know I'm not alone!

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 11:43AM
orchidnick

I'll give it a try. Thanks.
Nick

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 10:47PM
guillesala

Hi guys I am looking for this plant right now does anyone know where can i get a hold of this species anywhere in the US? I been looking for a while but no luck. Thanks!

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 12:01AM
More Discussions
Brassavola "Little stars" vendor
Any suggestions for US vendors? A Google search found...
bea
Phal skipped bloom this year
My Phalenopsis, which has bloomed regularly each year,...
robtj
what other plants can you use kieke power pro on?
I brought this stuff and applied it to one of my orchids...
tlbean2004
Short spikes? Causes?
I did get quite a few of my Phals to set spikes , but...
dakota01
Habenaria radiata tubers/corms? picture
On the gallery side, I said I would post a picture...
aachenelf z5 Mpls
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™