Is it too late to transplant plant rooted strawberry runners in P

fernwoodsSeptember 26, 2009

Also is it too late to transplant strawberry plants that are more established that already grew from runners?

My strawberries got so many runners that I could not possibly keep up trying to cut them off & I gave up.

Now I learned that they should be mowed, or cut to 1" tall in my raised bed.

As I am doing this, I end up with many rooted runners.

Am I wasting my time to plant these rooted runners in another bed since the first frost could be at any time?

Do you have any advise about how long the roots need to be, for them to survive now?

My plants that are growing are closer than 4".

Should I transplant them now so I can get strawberries next spring, or should I wait until spring to transplant them and then pick the blossoms next spring?

Thanks for any advise you can give on handling strawberries that had tons of leaves and runners, but not that many blossoms. (This may be because the beds were made last fall with 1/3 mushroom compost.)

Karen in PA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Strawberries are very frost hardy, so the transplants should not be adversly affected by a frost and you will still have 6 to 8 weeks for them to establish themselves in a new bed before really cold weather slows that growth to almost nothing. However, even when top growth slows to almost nothing the plants roots keep on for several weeks more. Transplanting now would give you 6 months head start in that new bed.

Bookmark   September 27, 2009 at 6:43AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blueberrier1

Fernwoods, I second your notion. I just finished doing what you have in mind, moving my excess runners to a nearby 6" raised bed. Did this successfully in Zone 5/MI Oct 1. I prune all leaves except the smallest, plant, water well and lightly scatter straw about. After a frost, I plan to 'plasticize' the bed. Early in the spring, I will foliar feed twice and wait for the feast. Would suggest thinning out any 'unmoved' runners, so the remainder are able to produce their best. Good luck!

Bookmark   September 27, 2009 at 8:57PM
More Discussions
Walking Down Memory Lane
I just clicked on the 'Sustaining Our Environment'...
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
Clear differences between organic and non-organic food, study fin
"Clear differences between organic and non-organic...
henry_kuska
Got tomatoes?
The organic Earthbox tomatoes have been coming in nicely...
MrClint
Too cold to compost?
I live in southern Oregon. Day temps are mid-40s; night...
roguejim
Seed meal for soil microorganism control
This article I about seed meal use in orchards but...
Michael
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™