Planting an acre of Potatoes

slackerSeptember 3, 2008

Hello all I am trying to understand somethings. IN the next few years, I am planning on planting 2 acres of potatoes ( organic) for sale at a local farmers market. I have done some research, and found that the yeild for an acre of potatoes can be around 220 cwt. Now from what I understand is that cwt stands for hundred pounds, so does that mean the yeild can be 22000 lbs / acre?

I am thinking that this cant be right, because that is 11 tons of potatoes per acre, so i think i am doing something wrong, any help from you more experienced folks out there?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Because you are a commercial grower, you need professional advice beyond what we home growers/gardeners can offer.

Contact your county's university Extension office and ask to speak with an agent.

Your county's Extension office may not have such a person in that particular office but they should be able to tell you how to contact an agent. In our region, such a person would be called a Small Farms Agent.

I would get you started as to who to contact but I don't have the slightest clue where you live.

Bookmark   September 3, 2008 at 7:20PM
slacker

Thanks, but the only thing I am asking is the cwt (hundred weight) Just wondering if anyone has info on that, but thanks for the other advise I will look into it.

Bookmark   September 3, 2008 at 8:43PM
naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan(5B SW Michigan)

Your calculation is correct. Yields vary but your numbers sound reasonable. With irrigation and optimal soil, yields might be higher yet. The linked page shows yields of 39,300 pounds per acre. Yup, that's almost 20 tons per acre :0

Here is a link that might be useful: Potato facts

Bookmark   September 5, 2008 at 12:55PM
slacker

That is hard to believe, isnt it? I guess one of the problems and might be conscidered the biggest one , is where to sell a crop like this, I know a farmer market would be one place, but 5 acres at ultimate yeild would be 200,000 pounds of taters. @ .70 / pound that is 140,000 american dollars. Not to shabby

Bookmark   September 8, 2008 at 10:19AM
More Discussions
(un)Covering a Cover Crop?
I have a couple raised beds. Last fall, I planted a...
bassopotamus
What, specifically, is the objection (of many) to Milorganite?
I know there used to be a problem or worry of a problem...
gonebananas_gw
Flowers and neonictinoids
I am in the Burbank California area. I have a small...
ltlredwagon
Re aphids - don't ants eat aphids?
I found what I think are aphids on my Salvia. Only...
ellenr22
organic way to be rid of rain barrel squigglies
I have squigglies in my rain barrels, probably they...
applemum
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™