will butternut squash ripen after harvest?

banjoniqueSeptember 26, 2012

I have a few hundred butternut and buttercup squash plants nearing harvest time and I am wondering if they are picked early if they will ripen off the vine? I want to prepare these bed for garlic in October. The butternuts still have a few green lines on them and the buttercups stems have not yet turned woody or gray which is my usual indicator........the huge amount of work to prep the beds for garlic makes me wonder if picking early might be an option.....what do y'all think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

They can and will. If possiblr they should be stored someplace where the temperature holds between 5 and 60 degrees wqith an rH between 60 and 70, ie. a root cellar.

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 6:50AM
gardenlen(s/e qld aust)

yep like all pumpkins butternuts will ripen after picking that is as fruit is. they are not noted for being the best storers, bit like the kent pumpkins aka jap(just another pumpkin) pumpkin.

len

Here is a link that might be useful: lens garden page

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 2:32PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Whoops. That storage temperature should be between 50 and 60 degrees.

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 6:03AM
tcstoehr

It depends what you mean by "ripen". If you mean that the taste and texture improves, then maybe. But they will never be as good as those ripened fully on the vine. Further, the shells will not harden and become protective for long term storage, as noted. So plan to eat them relatively soon.

Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 6:20PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Nothing has the flavor of any fully plant ripened fruit but they will taste at least as good as those you get at your grocers, many of which have no flavor at all.

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 6:13AM
jolj(7b/8a)

In 2010 I grow butternut squash (Cucurbita moschata) & had 4 or 5 last till march of 2011.

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 6:21PM
greenguru(7)

Thanks for all the help and tips

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 1:38PM
More Discussions
Organic Hydoponic Nutrients
We grow organic vegetables in coco coir and are looking...
little sur farm
Food Taste
Sr Albert Howard is discussing on this and the following...
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
How to get rid of Moles/Voles in my Garden ???
Help !!! They are driving me nuts. I want some of my...
Natilie70
fraud?
This article may interest some here. http://www.naturalnews.com/048892_Altered_Genes_Twisted_Truth_biotech_science_fraud_Jane_Goodall.html kimmq...
kimmq
Use of Horse manure
Good People- I have access to an unlimited supply of...
bspatial5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™