Corn Gluten - Looking for Very Specific Info

AlvySeptember 26, 2011

Hi everyone,

Last year I used Corn Gluten Meal on a huge (300ft x 20ft) mulched area on my property to prevent weeds. It worked great, and the difference between the areas with it and without it was undeniable. I know there's some debate about it, but for me, the stuff works!

The problem is finding it in bulk. The place I used last year (via amazon.com) has upped their prices, and I know that cheaper options exist.

I have done HOURS and DAYS of research online, and called literally DOZENS of feed stores in Southern California, but to no avail. And everything online is so vague: "try feed stores in your area, they're super cheap!" "lots of online sellers," "I bought it at a local place for $8 for 50 pounds, but strangely don't know the name or number of where I got it!" etc. I'm reaching the end of my rope.

So, I'm turning to you lovely people for help :-)

WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR:

--Corn Gluten Meal in bulk, as cheap as possible, but at least under about $30 for 50 pounds.

--If you've found it, then specific info on where you got it (Feed stores, Co-Ops, Granaries, Farm Suppliers), including the name of the business and some kind of contact info like a phone number, address, website, email, or even simply the company name, city, and state. It doesn't matter what state it is located in: if the price is as low as some people say, then even with shipping it will be a good deal.

WHAT I'M *NOT* LOOKING FOR

--Product that comes in 5-25 pound bags, labeled as "pre-emergent herbicide." The prices are several times higher than what you can get in bulk.

Thanks, everyone!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Belgianpup(Wa/Zone 7b)

Do you REALLY want to pay shipping for large amounts like that???

If not, please tell us at least what COUNTY you live in. No one is going to try to track you down to drown your property in weed seeds while you sleep.

Sue

Bookmark   September 29, 2011 at 2:18PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Belgianpup, you are one cranky, sarcastic pup, aren't you?

Bookmark   September 29, 2011 at 10:53PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Don't know where you live, but check farm stores.

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 8:58PM
Belgianpup(Wa/Zone 7b)

"Belgianpup, you are one cranky, sarcastic pup, aren't you?"

So, you've got a problem with that???

The location thing is a pet peeve with me. Here we have someone asking a question, and someone else here may know the ideal answer, but we don't know because the OP may be in Maine, Florida, California, or Montana.

Wouldn't it be easy for someone to say, "You're in Hudson Co, NY? PERFECT! Just take your pickup to Bill's Organic Hut on 15th St. and he'll load you up with corn gluten meal, $50 for a whole pickup load! But be sure to take a tarp."

Instead, the person who has that ideal answer doesn't know the OP lives in his county, so he just shrugs and goes on to the next thread.

Well, in a perfect world, I would have won the lottery by now.

Sue, the Sarcastic

Bookmark   October 3, 2011 at 2:44AM
More Discussions
Soil Test - Help
Hi First Post! I cleared a piece of land last fall...
conda71
Has anyone tried this method to repel cabbage moths in their garden?
I came across this post on reddit the other day and...
tripleione
Safeness of gavanized hardware cloth in containers?
I now have 4 Behlen food-grade stock tanks for raised...
catherinet
My Onion Seedlings are not standing upright!!
I started my onion seeds March 1st and the germination...
mikeman824
Sponsored Products
Alloy Canyon Blend 1/2 X Random Glass & Marble Mosaic Tiles
$16.50 | TileBar
Alessandria Loran Headboard
Cost Plus World Market
Allegra Oil-Rubbed Bronze 22" High Outdoor Wall Light
Euro Style Lighting
Vitra by Nameeks Sunrise Toilet - VITRA 5384-003-0075
$390.07 | Hayneedle
Bougainvillea Lace Botanical Arrangement
$799.00 | FRONTGATE