keiki or new limb?

Jetson15(Va)July 31, 2014

My Phal, which has been in bloom since March, has just started losing it's flowers. Just below the first flower to fall, I noticed a small new growth. Does this look like a keiki or is it trying to branch for more flowers?

In either case, should I let it continue? It will probably be a month or so till the rest of the flowers on this spike fall.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
westoh Z6

I'd guess it is getting ready to branch. Doesn't really look like a keiki, but pretty early on.

FYI: It's not unusual for these to abort before doing too much. Don't beat yourself up if that ends up being the case.

Bob

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 7:00AM
Calzoner(9b)

I have one phal about 8 years old now and it always has several of these on the spikes each year. Rarely do they do anything for me. Depending on your location, but this time of year I'd cut that spike and focus on root and leaf growth.

Good luck

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 12:17PM
Jetson15(Va)

Thanks

It's already started new leaves and some new monster roots, but I've been waiting for the flowers to drop before I repot. I will stay with that plan unless I see this really take off, and then I'll ask again.

Alan

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 1:02PM
More Discussions
This new format really stinks.
Where are the old posts if you want to look through...
vtandrea
Short spikes? Causes?
I did get quite a few of my Phals to set spikes , but...
dakota01
Where to buy sphagnum moss?
Hi all, Where can I buy this for my orchid? I live...
ninjali
Is this a spike?
I know what Phal spikes look like, but am new to these......
suzabanana (6b Boston)
Phal skipped bloom this year
My Phalenopsis, which has bloomed regularly each year,...
robtj
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™