harlequin bugs

koheletOctober 7, 2007

Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of harlequin bugs? Looks like they're back again this year (early spring in this part of the world).

Thanks,

kohelet

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

You cannot get rid of Harlequin bugs, but encouarging its predators to hang around can help. Be sure you have properly identified them before trying to control them and that there is a real good reason to control them. What are they doing that requires your control efforts?

Here is a link that might be useful: Harlequin bug

Bookmark   October 7, 2007 at 6:37AM
kohelet

Thanks kimmsr. It is certainly the harlequin bug that I have in the garden, though it isn't identical to the one pictured in the link you sent. I had it identified at the state museum here. It is a sucking insect, so ruins tomatoes, for example. Keeping the place tidy will help, apparently, as they spend the winter under rubbish but the compost bins provide protection for them too.

I certainly appreciate your help.

kohelet

Bookmark   October 8, 2007 at 12:41AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

One thing to keep in mind about insect pests overwintering in garden debris is that beneficial insects, the ones that eat the pests, also overwinter in that garden debris. Encourging predatory insects to stick around is probably more important than controlling the pests.

Bookmark   October 8, 2007 at 6:31AM
booliebumpskie

What is a predator of the harlequin? They ate my broccoli and my cleome this year.

Bookmark   May 11, 2009 at 10:54AM
cabrita(9b SoCal)

booliebumskie I wish I knew too....they decimated my brassicas last year. This year I am using trap crops, and 'hiding' the kale from them.....My russian kale is still intact but I see some telling white marks on the leaves of some of the lacinato... Nothing like last year though. By the way, I use collards as traps when I want to grow kale (the Harlequins seem to like the collards better) and I have also been using radishes as trap crops surrounding my brussels sprouts and cauliflowers. So far so good.

How to get rid of them? I used to come home from work, put on the latex gloves, and hand exterminate them. I would catch them and toss them in a small bucket that had some soap, water, tobacco juice and hot pepper juice. That works, but it is not the most fun I have ever had.

I have heard that chickens will not even go near them. Birds are supposed to be predators for them, but guess what, the Harlequins (Murgantia histrionica) know how to extract toxins from the crucifer plants so they make themselves distasteful to the birds, this way they do not get eaten! I am giving the link for that article. Amazing.

If anyone has other good tips for control, please post. There is a good article on using trap crops (I will post later when I find it), but it is focused on the green stink bugs (Nezara viridula) rather than the harlequins.

Here is a link that might be useful: Harlequin bugs making themselves taste bad

Bookmark   May 12, 2009 at 3:46PM
justaguy2(5)

What is a predator of the harlequin?

Maybe birds?

As a rule pests are more numerous than predators. It has to be this way or the predators would starve to death. It's the whole prey (plant eaters) vs predators (flesh eaters) thing.

There are many ideas to control/limit the damage of pests, but when the population is high forget about all of it. Control them using the least toxic methods that wipe them out or don't. That's the choice.

Predator bugs are great for preventing [some] pests from increasing in numbers to the point controls are required to get a harvest, but once pest populations explode to the point crop damage will or is occuring the use of predator bugs is past.

Bookmark   May 12, 2009 at 3:57PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Most people looking for predators of the Stink Bug family look for those that would predate the adult, forgetting the the best time to control them is the egg stage, and recent research at the University of California has found the the ubiquitious Pill Bug will eat those eggs, or the nymph stage and there may be several of the normal predatory insects that work on them but we don't really know because no one has really looked. The adult Stink Bugs emit a very disagreeable odor and that is alos very distasteful.
Floating Row Covers can be helpful.

Bookmark   May 12, 2009 at 8:04PM
anney(Georgia 8)

I've never heard of this organic insecticide, but it's recommended for control of harlequin and stink bugs: Sabadilla is an insecticide produced by grinding the seeds of the sabadilla plant, Schoenocaulon officinale. For several years sabadilla products were not available in the U.S. However, they are now sold by several mail-order suppliers, and garden centers have begun to carry sabadilla products as well.

Sabadilla is both a contact and stomach poison and has shown greatest promise against several of the "true bugs," such as squash bug, chinch bug, harlequin bug and stink bugs. It has proven effectiveness against leaf-feeding caterpillars, Mexican bean beetles and thrips. Use of sabadilla on certain vegetables, including squash, cucumbers, melons, beans, turnips, mustard, collards, cabbage, peanuts and potatoes, is permitted by the EPA..

The ground seeds of sabadilla sold for garden use are considered among the least toxic of the various botanicals. However, sabadilla dusts can be highly irritating to the respiratory tract, often provoking a violent sneezing reaction if inhaled. Be sure to wear a dust mask when applying it and, as with all pesticides, follow precautions listed on the product labels. In addition, several of the alkaloids in sabadilla can cause rapid depression of blood pressure in mammals.

Has anyone heard of anything further, positive or negative, about it?

Bookmark   May 12, 2009 at 8:46PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Sabadilla is an alkaloid just as nicotene and ryana are. Because it is highly toxic to many insects and bees this should be only considered for last resort use. Pyrethrins are a better choice but are also now used as last resort controls.

Bookmark   May 13, 2009 at 12:06PM
dimiessler

I find they're easy to knock off the plants, at which time I step on them, hoping this will encourage diseases that will control the population. I've also tossed diatomaceous earth on them, but can't tell if it helped or not - seemed to decrease the population somewhat. My plants had 2 or 3 bugs per leaf at one point.

Bookmark   December 27, 2010 at 12:41PM
nesto514_cantv_net

productor de Semillas de cebadilla.Tengo 25.000 kilogramos

Bookmark   January 14, 2011 at 9:01PM
EatMyYard

Bug Beater and Yard and Garden Insect Fog might be an organic solution. I found it on the Bonide site. They also had an organic insecticide oil that mentioned harlequin bugs, too, but I lost the reference. Look under insecticide. Attached is the picture of my harlequin bugs and the poor kale they decided to make their home.

Bookmark   August 18, 2012 at 2:48PM
EatMyYard

OK, here's the link for Japanese Beetle Killer.

http://www.bonide.com/products/product.php?category_id=196

This claims on the label to be a natural killer and lists Harlequin Bugs as one of it's targets.

The agent that kills is: pyrethrum

Oh, it's not sold in some states, like mine (California). Perhaps it's not really good for the environment. See what you think.

Bookmark   August 18, 2012 at 2:54PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Pyrethrin, and the synthetic form pyrethroids, are very braod spectrum poisons that can be used with a greeat deal of care.
Like most other poisons the will kill off beneficial insects as well as the pests. Hopefully where they are spraying the pyrethroids to kill off the msquitoes that might cause West Nile Virus they are taking precautions that will limit the death of beneficial insects.

Bookmark   August 19, 2012 at 6:18AM
mannepowell

I understand Spinosad can help to control this nasty pest. If not gotten under control quickly, I've been advised to pull all infested plants. They will quickly expand from brassicas (kale, cabbage, cauliflower, etc) to other plants (such as spinach, chard, even giant sunflowers) so it's important to act immediately upon spotting them. Good luck.

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 5:06PM
More Discussions
Earth, A new wild
If you have not yet seen this series, there are 4 programs,...
kimmq
Got tomatoes?
The organic Earthbox tomatoes have been coming in nicely...
MrClint
What, specifically, is the objection (of many) to Milorganite?
I know there used to be a problem or worry of a problem...
gonebananas_gw
Transplanting Strawberries
I have numerous strawberry plants that grew out of...
Gregory Wilhelm
Broom corn millet-bulk for consumption?
Would anyone know of a source of bulk broom corn seed...
iowariver
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™