Back to Eden?

beeman_gardener(5)October 11, 2011

If you can look past the religion included in the following video, then you'll find lots of valuable information on Organic gardening.

Well worth a looksee.

http://vimeo.com/28055108

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SoTX(8b/9a)

Info contained is not new--I am a Ruth Stout & Lee Reich fan with no sermon included.

Bookmark   October 11, 2011 at 9:16PM
magnetico

SoTX is correct, this isn't new. I found the movie very interesting as far as the method is concerned, but the bible references are a bit much, especially considering that the Canadian research on ramial chipped wood began in 1978 and continued for over 20 years, and an even earlier experiment was done using hardwood chips at Cornell University that spanned 15 years, from 1951-1966.

Professor Gilles Lemieux and his associates provide a lot of background on their years of research in their published articles on the web. I find it difficult to believe that Paul Gautschi has never heard about ramial chipped wood, and yet he doesn't mention it in the film or on his website. He implies that he was the first to use wood chips for gardening, even though the Canadians were researching this for many years before he ever tried it and they published many articles on the subject. They have much more detailed information in their articles and they provide scientific explanations of why it works so well, what species of trees work best, and what species should not be used. From what I read in one article, the info on ramial chipped wood has been on the internet since 1997. Did God tell Paul how to use wood chips to grow crops or did he just read about ramial chipped wood, and then purposefully leave out some details that he wouldn't be able to convincingly explain to people about how he acquired that knowledge? You decide. I think that when people spend many years of their lives working hard and consequently make important discoveries, they deserve the credit for those discoveries.

Ramial Chipped Wood Articles

Ramial Chipped Wood: The Clue to a Sustainable Fertile Soil

Redefining Soil Fertility

The Hidden World that Feeds Us: the Living Soil

Back To Eden

Back To Eden FAQ

Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 1:44AM
magnetico

Here is a study of mulching systems, including wood chips, in organic apple orchards from Washington State University, Paul's home state. These experiments began in 1999. The study was "presented at the Northwest Symposium on Organic and Biologically Intensive Farming, Nov. 8, 2002, Yakima, WA. Summarizes the past 3 years of orchard mulching trials in Wenatchee."
Mulching Systems for Weed Control, Water Conservation,
and Nitrogen Management in Organic Apple Orchards

Here are some others from Washington State University that examined the use of wood chips in orchards, among other mulches. Orchard Floor Management

Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 8:15AM
More Discussions
Flowers and neonictinoids
I am in the Burbank California area. I have a small...
ltlredwagon
Papaya Trees
I'm getting ready to plant a few papaya trees in my...
janellelee
This article may be of interest to some here
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/home/why-your-garden-needs-fertilizer--or-not/2015/02/10/153eb5b8-ad6e-11e4-ad71-7b9eba0f87d6_story.html kimmq...
kimmq
Caterpillars - removing them the humane way
I have a small organic garden plot in my backyard (which...
kapha
Organic Plant Surfactant
I'm currently trying to decide on a surfactant to use...
knowboddy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™