New orchid spike or root ?

LamontakJuly 22, 2014

Hello to all !

I am an avid lover of orchids and have been for three years now. My two last orchids died when i was away from my home and my roomate has to take care of them.

This spring, i bought a new one and it seems to be doing exceptionally well!
It just grew a new leaf at the bottom which is now reaching an inch and upon further inspection, seems to be sprouting either new roots or a new spike even!

With the attached photo, could any experts help me on devciding if this seems to be a baby spike? (It is growing between two leaves so needless to say, I am very hopeful!)

Thanks in advance :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

If you mean the rootlet on the root...umm a rootlet...if you mean something else, I don't see it.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 11:10AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Calzoner(9b)

Definitely a root as stated above. Tip i learned when I first started growing: Root tips are green/translucent with a rounded tip. Spikes are shaped similar to a "mitten" at the tip and are usually a darker shade of green or slightly purple in color.

Depending on your location, now is the time for new roots and foliage growth (typically 1-3 leaves per year for phals) and if conditions are right you will see spikes emerging late fall to early winter when nighttime temps drop 10-15 degrees.

Good luck!

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 1:44PM
More Discussions
Orchid IDs?
I got a few orchids within the months from places like...
fuzzballiscute
Why are my phal orchid bloom so late in the season?
I have 8-9 pots of phal orchid, they all have flower...
Sara_in_philly
what other plants can you use kieke power pro on?
I brought this stuff and applied it to one of my orchids...
tlbean2004
This new format really stinks.
Where are the old posts if you want to look through...
vtandrea
Need help with my Ice Cube Orchid
I received an Ice Cube Orchid from a friend. It did...
DeLynn Kreinbrook
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™