To cut or not

FlyntFlossieJuly 30, 2014

I am trying to grow a Phalaenopsis after a long track record of failure, and so far so good! But...

I have been reading a lot of articles about weather to cut the orchid spike or not, and I am still unsure. My orchid has dropped all its flowers, but the spike is still perfectly green and is showing no signs of browning. In addition, a new leaf has begun to grow.

Should I cut back the spike anyway to allow the leaf to grow or leave it until it begins to turn brown?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arthurm(Sydney, NSW AUST)

You have asked a question that has been asked many times. If you do a search you will find many past threads on the subject.
I've included a link to a long past thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Past thread on this subject

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 2:47PM
jane__ny(9-10)

That's what I do. Cut the spike off and let the plant grow a new one in the Winter.

Jane

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 11:44PM
Calzoner(9b)

I cut mine as soon as the last flower or two are wilting. I'm actually anxious to get new root and leaf growth after the flowering cycle..

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 12:13PM
Calzoner(9b)

I cut mine as soon as the last flower or two are wilting. I'm actually anxious to get new root and leaf growth after the flowering cycle..

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 12:14PM
dannie317

My opinion: always cut it.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 12:10PM
emily78

I like the cheap thrills of getting the plant to re-bloom quickly on the existing spike. But, since it's so late in the season (would probably spike again in the fall anyway), and because your plant is putting out a new leaf, I would probably cut it back and let it focus on the leaf growth for now.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 9:16AM
janartmuse

I decide if the plant is healthy enough to rebloom and act accordingly. It sounds like the plant is doing well, which is nice. Since it has a new leaf coming, you might as well encourage that. As for season, where I am it is still summer and I have a phalaenopsis that decided to put out a new spike, only discovered this weekend, so it's not the end of the season here anyway. A bit late, though....

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 11:10PM
More Discussions
My Garden Orcs
Hi I wanted to share the heralding of Spring in the...
aztcqn
It is show time!
Show season is in full swing. In my area I have noticed...
Darlene (GreenCurls)
Orchid display case
So I found two of thesee aquarium units at my local...
Darlene (GreenCurls)
Orchids, please help
Need help for my lost Orchid food. I used "Safer,...
woofcar
Orchid forum link
Hi Bob, This is the link you sent me. I hope it works. Thank...
tanie51
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™