Strange looking leaf

tanie51(3b)July 18, 2014

Hello Friends,

I just found out this strange looking broken leaf on a new shoot of my oncidium. This is the one has been giving out ton of roots and not rebloom like some of it's housemates. and now I saw this. Wonder what that is. Looks like there is a leaf with a sheet wrapped around some more new leaves. But it broke off close to the bottom of the shoot and then the new shoot keep growing, pushing that broken leaf out. Could you tell me what it is doing and why it is doing that, There are more new shoots with that kind of wrap around too and I am afraid they might do that and would that harm the plant?

Thank you,

Tanie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tanie51(3b)

My question is should I gently peel that wrap off to free the new shoot?

Thank you!

Tanie

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 2:52PM
jane__ny(9-10)

I guess you could. Can't tell from the photo, but I would use your judgement and slowly peel it back and see whats under it. You could probably just leave it alone.

Jane

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 11:15PM
tanie51(3b)

Thank you Jane. I did peel it off. You are right. I could just leave it and the new leaves will push it up and out but I think the new leaves are happy to be free. Am trying to see if there's any sign of a spike but none. Just a lot of new leaves and million of roots!! Roots grow everywhere! I don't know if that is normal or not but I will just have to let it be. I brought this up a while ago but most friends on the web told me "be patience. Growing roots is a good sign too", so, I'll just be patience and see what it will do for me next....

Tanie

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 9:33PM
More Discussions
Dendrobium in potting moss
I have this two new babies in my collection. I noticed...
yenika_zone10 Miami, Fl
what other plants can you use kieke power pro on?
I brought this stuff and applied it to one of my orchids...
tlbean2004
V. Kriangkrai yellow
Hi these is the first V. Kriangkrai yellow i have....
yenika_zone10 Miami, Fl
First Orchid!
Just bought my first orchid - a den-phal! I had never...
jeffatlanta (7b, Atlanta, GA)
Phal yellowing.... bottom two leaves, interior roots, base of crown
I received this phal as a Valentine's Day present,...
kmaxxy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™