not many roots left...what now?

mommy115(9)July 24, 2012

My phaleonopsis finished blooming so I thought I would see what was in the tightly packed sphagnum that it came in. I feel it was too packed to be healthy. When I gently pulled out the moss I found it had only 2 roots that might make it and one is questionable. There is one little 'nub' of a new root trying to develop. I cut out the rotten and dried up roots. I have had loosely packed sphagnum in my other orchid and it is doing great so I prefer to stay with sphagnum. Now, with so few roots do I water it the same, keep it more moist, or what. In other words, is there anything I should do differently until it gets more roots. ty

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chilover

I had one like that at one time, what I did was move it to the smallest pot I could find, it was only about 1 & 1/2 inches across, placed a small amount of sphagnum very loosely in the pot and watered it when the sphagnum became crispy on top. It's now in a 3 inch pot with tons of roots. It also only had one leaf when I originally transplanted it. Came back great but took a whole year.

Cathy

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 8:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mommy115(9)

ty. I'm going to do that! :)

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 2:14PM
More Discussions
My Garden Orcs
Hi I wanted to share the heralding of Spring in the...
aztcqn
Brassavola "Little stars" vendor
Any suggestions for US vendors? A Google search found...
bea
Phal yellowing.... bottom two leaves, interior roots, base of crown
I received this phal as a Valentine's Day present,...
kmaxxy
Is this a spike?
I know what Phal spikes look like, but am new to these......
suzabanana (6b Boston)
Orchids, please help
Need help for my lost Orchid food. I used "Safer,...
woofcar
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™