Brassia care

bea(9a FL)July 18, 2014

Still consider myself pretty new to orchids so need advice on braccias. I love their looks so would like to get one. I have researched their care online but would rather hear from you guys. Online info isn't always realistic as to day to day care. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arthurm(Sydney, NSW AUST)

Bea, they are easy, the only difficulty some people have is that the plants appear healthy but refuse to flower.

Are you thinking of the species or hybrids?

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 6:28PM
bea(9a FL)

Arthur I don't know. I grow catts, oncidium and phals. I just think brassia flowers are fascinating. What do you recommend?

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 7:10PM
shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b

I love brassia's. I've got one in bud right now. The name is Brs. Edva Loo 'Nishda' This one has a big flower. Up to 18" from top to bottom. Grow them like your other orchids if they are doing good. Brassia is in the oncidium alliance. I use a product on all my orchids. The biggest difference was with the brassias. Magi-cal. A magnesium, calcium formula. But all plants improved with it.

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 7:31PM
bea(9a FL)

Thx Shavedmonkey. My oncidium (the first orchid I ever got years ago) blooms every year and has grown quite a bit over the years so i must be doing something right. Will try it. Any particular brassia nursery you recommend?

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 7:37PM
vtandrea

I have 2 brassias and have found that they need bright light, but most of all lots of water, meaning try to water your brassia at least twice a week if not more.

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 5:37PM
shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b

I have bought some from Odom's in Fort Pierce Florida. It has been a while. Not sure what they have now. They can be found. They are quite a show. Multiple spikes makes quite a statement. Need to let the plants get big for that to happen. The spikes are hard to notice early. Frequently they surprise me with the spike 6 or 8 inches out. Hard to see them when they are just starting. They will last about 2 weeks in peak bloom. It takes several days to open. Worth watching...

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 6:49PM
jane__ny(9-10)

Easy to grow. Mine blooms 2x a year. I grow it in bright light, hanging under a tree. Lots of water but mine is in an open basket. You need to adjust watering to your growing conditions and light.

You appear to live in Florida. The best deals on orchids is to attend any orchid shows in your area. Odoms brings plants to our (Sarasota) show as well as Venice and Tampa.

You should consider joining your local Orchid Society. Its fun and they always sell orchids or raffle them off for almost nothing.

Best way to buy orchids is through the Clubs or shows.

Jane

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 11:09PM
More Discussions
Should I cut off this leaf?
This may have started from misting or too much light...
cooperdr_gw
My phal's aerial roots appear shriveled at tips ?
Regarding aerial roots on my phal's: the tips of the...
Storm 7a
Question on dendrobium nobile
Since my den stopped blooming a while ago, I didn't...
vtandrea
orid lighting examples with pics/ how do you use orcid bloom enhance
Could some people post a pic of where they keep their...
Katie Parker
is orcid doomed? (is it doomed by over watering?
I have a Phalaenopsis orcid and I live in eastern Iowa...
Katie Parker
Sponsored Products
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Chandra Rugs Thomaspaul Teal/Grey 7 ft. 9 in. x
Home Depot
Montara 5-lt Chandelier Linear
LBC Lighting
AICO Furniture - Discoveries Round Entry Table - ACF-ENT-SUMR-05
Great Furniture Deal
Charcoal Flower Burst Elliot Rug
$54.99 | zulily
Bella 32 Inch Premium 16 Gauge Stainless Steel Undermount 50/50 Double Bowl Kitc
eModern Decor
Gracious Goods Twisted Ice Cream Bucket with Scoop
Classic Hostess
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™