Denb sprouting a new offset

boothbay(7)July 7, 2011

Is that what they are called on a Denb? At the same time my Denb is also showing one of the off sets completely yellow so i snipped it off with sanitized clippers..Just what are their purposes? Do they grow into another cane? If so, i have 3 of them already.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jane__ny(9-10)

If they are appearing from below an existing cane, they will be the newest canes and will flower. Do not cut any new growths off.

If a new growth is yellow and dying, something is wrong. Can you post a picture?

Jane

Bookmark   July 7, 2011 at 10:50PM
boothbay(7)

NO, the new one is below the ridge of the pot and very green and healthy looking and growing fast. The yellow one has been snipped off. Can i divide those existing offsets and plant them. This plant is going to be too heavy eventually..with all those offsets.

Bookmark   July 8, 2011 at 8:14AM
jane__ny(9-10)

Put your pot inside a taller, heavier pot which has a drain hole. This will keep it from falling over. I use a tall ceramic pot.

I'm not sure what you mean by a 'yellow one.' Could it have been a root?

The bottom line is all new growths are your future flowers. The older canes can also flower and give support to the newer canes. They should not be separated or removed until the plant is much bigger (multiple canes) or you will lose flowers. Your plant might not flower for years if you remove the older canes.

You could tie the canes so they are closer together. This plant needs good light. It appears healthy and you are getting good growth. I would suggest you open the blinds to allow stronger light. The newer canes should flower this fall.

The plant appears to be a warm growing, hard-cane Dendrobium. Do you have a tag? Another important point, do not overwater. They like to dry out between watering so only water when almost dry. There is a lot of information on the internet which you should read. Google brings up a lot of info:

Here is a link that might be useful: Dendrobium Care

Bookmark   July 8, 2011 at 9:51PM
orchid126(z6, NJ)

From what I can see, the new growths look like new canes. For an orchid to bloom they need at least three canes, five are better, at the minimum. And ditto whatever Jane says.

Bookmark   July 22, 2011 at 2:08PM
More Discussions
My Orchids need help!!!
I have had these orchids for almost a year now. I have...
alexandraaaaa
Grammatohyllum speciosum potting medium
So I have this G. speciosum devision. I currently have...
Matt G
Phal Question...Should I do it??
Ok... somebody either stop me or tell me to go with...
scorpgirl24
Should I take the Orchid plunge???
We recently moved to Costa Rica from the states and...
dreamskape
angraecum sesquipedale framboyant x bosorii lisa
Hi all, Two weeks ago i received an Angraecum sesquipedale...
yenika_zone10 Miami, Fl
Sponsored Products
Nativity Creche & Marble Base
$1,200.00 | Horchow
Franklin Leather Ottoman - Brighton Lemon Grass Yellow
Joybird Furniture
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Mohawk Home Rugs Argentina Soft. Beige 8
Home Depot
Fima Frattini by Nameeks S5081 Widespread Bathroom Faucet - S5081BR
$720.92 | Hayneedle
New Ivory 2' 6" X 4' Hand Knotted Geo-Navajo Weave Kilim Rug | Free Pad H2871
$48.00 | BH Sun Inc