Mounted DENB has yellowing leaves

boothbay(7)July 2, 2011

I decided to try a mounted Orchid a couple of weeks ago. My Denb had bloomed this pas late Winter. I attached it to a bark and all seemed well. I left the roots exposed cause of the heat of the day and the humid conditions we have been getting. I have it outside my porch in a bright light with morning son for about a half hour. The roots being exposed, I assumed that i had to spray them not only daily, but 3 times or so...plus douse it with water and fertilized weekly. At the beginning i had 1 leave yellowing , but today i saw 2 more for a total of 3. I suspect that i am over watering it with spraying. I did cover the roots with transparent plastic wrap, perhaps the roots cannot be exposed?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arthurm(Sydney, NSW AUST)

You probably have a hard-cane Dendrobium, i am assuming this because you said it flowered in winter.
Might not be a problem if the leaves are falling from the oldest cane/psuedobulb.
You might have to spray several times a day if you are trying to grow a cloud forest orchid, as for covering the roots with a transparent wrap, that might create a mini hot-house around the roots and cause damage.
Forget about all this tropical stuff, and read some hard cane culture notes on the net to get a feeling for the type of culture required.
Those pseudobulbs/canes are there to get the plants through hard times.
Does the plant have a name?

Bookmark   July 2, 2011 at 8:12PM
boothbay(7)

Those pseudobulbs/canes are there to get the plants through hard times.
Does the plant have a name?>>>

Yes, it is a hard cane and almost 2' tall. I lost the tag that came with it 5 years ago, so no name that i can recall. Two leaves that are yellowing are at the near top of the cane, and one is on the "pseudobulb/cane"

Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 7:20AM
orchidnick

I have not successfully mounted hard cane Dendrobiums. Some died, others lingered without robust growth.

Nick

Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 9:44AM
richardol(Santa Royale CA)

Hard cane Dendrobiums do best in any medium when the roots dry between watering. Daily watering (not just a little mist) is fine.

The wrap is not a good idea, and may be the cause of the leaf loss, or it could be shock from the re-pot.

I have mounted Den species, but I keep the hard-cane hybrids in rock. This are like Great Dane puppies, cute in the store but they will get larger and larger with each new growth.

Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 11:05AM
More Discussions
Dem kingianum flower spikes turning brown early
I purchased a dem kingianum recently at an orchid show...
Creative Soapstone LLC
My Orchids need help!!!
I have had these orchids for almost a year now. I have...
alexandraaaaa
Should I cut off this leaf?
This may have started from misting or too much light...
cooperdr_gw
orid lighting examples with pics/ how do you use orcid bloom enhance
Could some people post a pic of where they keep their...
Katie Parker
In bloom 27 months and counting...
Dendrobium Hialeah twist. (Spiker x canaliculatum)...
shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
Sponsored Products
Cooper Bathroom Storage Unit - White Matte Finish
Signature Hardware
EcoPine Angle Bench in Espresso
$184.99 | Dot & Bo
Contractor Choice 52-Inch Brushed Pewter Ceiling Fan
$107.50 | Bellacor
Cal Lighting Tiffany Dark Bronze Floor Lamp
Overstock.com
Mora Leather Sofa - Brighton Lemon Grass Yellow
Joybird Furniture