Paphs with rusty-looking spots on leaves

symbie(7 Texas)September 20, 2009

I researched online to figure this out, and I found this website (linked below). The photos on this site are someone else's but the discoloration on their plant in the photo is perfectly identical to what I have on a couple of my own Paphs now. The responses I read there don't seem definitive as to whether it is a fungal or a mite problem.

Does anyone know what this is, and if so, what should I do?

Thank you so much!!

symbie

Here is a link that might be useful: spots on Paph leaves

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
heth(6)

I don't know for sure but it looks like Rust to me. You should isolate any plants that have any sign of it. I don't know how to get rid of it so maybe someone else could help...

Bookmark   September 20, 2009 at 6:28PM
donaldb(5B Worcester, MA)

The "rust" on the pictured leaves looks like permanent damage to me.

Bookmark   September 22, 2009 at 10:12AM
ttkidd(Toronto ON)

Watch your plant carefully. It sounds fungal. I had something similar and the plant declined quite quickly. The dusty rust-like look morphed into dead brown spots which quickly spread over a period of a couple weeks. If this starts to happen it's not likely that any home remedies are likely to fix the problem. Even after pulling out the big guns (phyton/thiomyl) the progression only slowed.

Tyler

Bookmark   September 23, 2009 at 12:45PM
stitzelweller(Md)

A Maryland orchid friend of mine with considerable experience reviewed the fotos. She is convinced that this damage is from spider mites. I am neutral.

Another opinion never hurts.

--Stitz--

Bookmark   September 23, 2009 at 6:18PM
symbie(7 Texas)

The affected plants are growing indoors in a light cart, so it is bright and the humidity is on the low side where they live. Yesterday I wiped a leaf with a damp paper towel and saw some faint yellow-orange residue. Does that suggest mites?

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions.
sym

Bookmark   September 26, 2009 at 1:58PM
sweetcicely(S7 USDA9 No.CA)

Hi Sym,
Spider mites can be seen with a good magnifyer, loup, or stamp glass. They are tiny spider-like critters that scurry when disturbed. Some species, but not all, make fine spiderweb-like strands.

When I periodically wipe my orchids' leaves, the residue is sometimes grayish (dust?)and sometimes more yellowish (air pollution). Unless you see critter specks in the wipe, the residue is probably "normal."

I have one Paph--a mottle-leaved type. Any and all damage to it shows up in rusty orange, so I doubt that the color of your mystery damage is diagnostic by itself. It does, however look extensive and in need of attention.

If it were my paph and I could more or less rule out spider mites with a magnifying glass, I would first isolate the plants from all others, and then start a good anti-fungal treatment right away.

Sc

Bookmark   September 26, 2009 at 2:29PM
symbie(7 Texas)

i just came from the light cart. I found a good magnifying glass, got up close to a pitted-orangey leaf and started hunting. After several minutes I was about to give up, but finally I saw tiny red-brown specks moving, and when I understood what to look for, I saw lots of them. I'm glad my daughter was away and didn't hear me!!
They are so very small!
Can anyone recommend a good miticide, or should I just run to HD and get what they have?

Thanks again for everybody's input!
sym

Bookmark   September 26, 2009 at 3:38PM
More Discussions
The Office "Cursed Orchid"
At my old job that I left about two weeks ago, my boss...
Nicole
Using left over botted water for orcid?
If you had a leftover bottle of water that you hadnt...
Katie Parker
In bloom 27 months and counting...
Dendrobium Hialeah twist. (Spiker x canaliculatum)...
shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
Interesting... my dog had a tumor 'explode'
Okay, I think this is interesting and since I'd never...
tuezday1
Laelia (Cattleya) Purpurata var anelata
My big purpurata blooms in May for me. It has one...
Boby Huffard
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™