Anyone growing any of these little guys

aachenelf z5 MplsSeptember 25, 2009

I received my order from Lynn O'Shaughnessy today. Really nice plants and packed very well. Since they all came in kind of temporary pots in sphag, I have to figure out what I want to put them in. I think my choices are tree fern or sphag, but I would like to hear what others are using if you have any of these. I'm leaning more towards tree fern for some of them since the other Restrepia plants I grow have thrived on small pieces of tree fern in clay pots.

Here's what I received:

Barbosella dolichorhiza

Dryadella barrowii

Dryadella lilliputiana

Dryadella zebrina

Lepanthopsis astrophora 'Stalky'

Lepanthopsis vinacea

Restrepia chameleon

Restrepiopsis pandurata 'Free Spirit'

Trisetella cordeliae

She also threw in a Lepanthes species for free.

Kevin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cjwatson(Z8 FL)

Kevin, I grow the Lepanthopsis astrophora in a 1" plastic pot in sphag (I change the sphag every 6 months). Medium shade, warmish temps, high humidity.

I don't grow any of the others, but I do grow a Dryadella edwallii, a warm grower. It's mounted on cork with a small bit of sphag and hung in a clear plastic highball glass with a 1/2" of water in the bottom. I believe the zebrina will grow the same way.

Also grow four Barbosella species -- australis, dussenii, handroi and an unidentified species from Peru -- which are mostly bareroot mounted and hung up in medium shade the GH.

The Restrepia sounds interesting. I am growing three different ones, including a hybrid, bareroot mounted. Restrepias don't mind going completely dry for a couple days at a time; they are not as picky as most Pleurothallids.

I killed a Trisetella triglochin once so I guess any advice wouldn't count.

Bookmark   September 25, 2009 at 6:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aachenelf z5 Mpls

Many, many thanks CJ for that. I was wondering if some of these might do well mounted. Now I know what works for you at least.

Lynn has a really nice selection of Restrepia. I had more on my original wish list, but ended it up with only one. I might have to place another order at some point. I remember someone once saying these plants like just a hint of dryness between waterings, so that's what I've been doing and it's the reason I grow them on tree fern. So far it's really worked for me. I find those little alien flowers just the cutest things.

Kevin

Bookmark   September 26, 2009 at 9:17AM
More Discussions
Laelia (Cattleya) Purpurata var anelata
My big purpurata blooms in May for me. It has one...
Boby Huffard
Orchid potting mix?
Anyone ever used al's gritty mix as orchid potting...
Britni Rice
Dem kingianum flower spikes turning brown early
I purchased a dem kingianum recently at an orchid show...
Creative Soapstone LLC
angraecum sesquipedale framboyant x bosorii lisa
Hi all, Two weeks ago i received an Angraecum sesquipedale...
yenika_zone10 Miami, Fl
Dend potting medium
I was given 2 hard cane dends packed tightly together...
bea
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™