When to bring a phalaenopsis inside?

dbrowne(7a/DC)September 10, 2012

I received a phalaenopsis eariler this year (no flowers), and put it ouside durning the summer. The weather at night now is getting cooler (Z7a). What is the lowest nighttime tempurture should I chance leaving this orchid outside?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arthurm(Sydney, NSW AUST)

I think it is about 50F.

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 3:35PM
Greencurls(Z5)

50 is the absolute lowest. I leave my phal out until it drops below 50 F. But I believe 55 F is the recommended low temp.

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 6:36AM
dbrowne(7a/DC)

Do I start to fertilize at this time, after I bring it in? A complete fertilizer, or a bloom booster?

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 4:24PM
Allan870

I recently purchased my first orchid. I have been doing research on it, and everything I've read says the minimum temperature is 60. I am sure people on here know from personal experience. I just wanted to pass along what I had read. I am going to try growing mine indoors and keeping the temperature above 60 at night.

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 10:43PM
arthurm(Sydney, NSW AUST)

That information is correct, the recommended low is about 15C. But the question was "when to bring inside" Just say the cold night was a one off and day temperatures continue to warm, then perhaps the plant might be better left outside. Lots of perhapsers in the orchid growing world.

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 3:31AM
westoh Z6

FWIW,

I live in zone 6, been getting into the low 50's here. My phals sit under an eave so they stay a little warmer than the 'recorded' temps. I feel safe leaving them out until it hits the upper 40's for several nights in a row. A lot of hybrids like that nightime drop in temps (@15-20 lower than daytime highs) to initiate spikes. At this time of year, use a bloom booster fert on phals, but you should fert weakly/weekly all year long anyhow.

Good luck,

Bob

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 7:08AM
jane__ny(9-10)

When I grew Phals in NY, they always began to spike in Sept. I left them out until the night temps 'held' under 55F. A few cool nights never hurt them.

This is my first year living in Fla. and I have no idea when the temps drop. It is still so warm and very humid. I only have 2 phals left, as the others rotted away over the summer. Not an ideal environment for Phals. They seemed much happier up north!

Jane

Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 12:38AM
cjwatson(Z8 FL)

Jane, you are looking at the very end of Nov at the earliest. Of course there can be a cold front come in for a few days during the winter. I used the Tampa area for your average temps chart.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tampa temps

Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 8:18AM
westoh Z6

The dance has started...
Got down to the mid-upper 40's here Saturday and Sunday night, so I brought in my 15 violaceas and violacea crosses. Supposed to be in the low 40's here the next 2 nights, so I'll bring in the rest of the warm growers (@30 phals/others) this evening. Warms back up later in the week and then drops into the mid-40's again this weekend, gonna be fun hauling 'em in and out for the next few weeks. Plus, I'm only on week 2 of a 3 week bug treatment plan, so I need to get everything out for at least one more good dunking/spraying of Bayers before bringing them in for the winter.

Bob

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 7:14AM
otnorot(z5ont)

Orchids and all house plants that are outside for the summer should be brought in the house before the furnace is turned on.
Bill

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 8:56AM
More Discussions
Is this a spike?
I know what Phal spikes look like, but am new to these......
suzabanana (6b Boston)
Orchid forum link
Hi Bob, This is the link you sent me. I hope it works. Thank...
tanie51
Need help with my Ice Cube Orchid
I received an Ice Cube Orchid from a friend. It did...
DeLynn Kreinbrook
Phal skipped bloom this year
My Phalenopsis, which has bloomed regularly each year,...
robtj
My Garden Orcs
Hi I wanted to share the heralding of Spring in the...
aztcqn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™