Replacing Greenhouse Vinyl?

helga1September 18, 2009

I have a 14x20 Quanset-Hut-type-of GH. The vynil has been on for over 10 yrs. Is has not been damaged, but I suspect the light has become inhibited by age, dust,water spots, etc. It works good during the hottest time of the summer, but now with winter coming on, which is dreary here in the NW, I am questioning the wisdom of replacing it.

Please share your experience with me.

Helga.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arthurm(Sydney, NSW AUST)

Hi Helga, you must live in a fairly dust free part of the world. I have to clean the grime off glasshouse roofs at least once a year to maintain optimum light levels.

So how long does vynil last? I know that the old fashioned fibreglass stuff clouded over and became useless after a couple of years.

The roof on one of my glasshouses has been replaced by stuff called lazerlite. .Might be called something else in the USA.

Bookmark   September 20, 2009 at 7:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
helga1

Thank you arthurum. Yes, we live in the country -nothing but trees and meadows around. The summers are sunny and quite warm, during which the GH is protected by 50% shade cloth.
Our winter weather is mostly cloudy, gray, rainy. I have an HD light over the middle table(cattlayas) on from 4:00 a.m to 7:00 a.m., but suspect it is not enough light all around, especially, since the HD bulb is also 3 yrs. old.
I hate to do away with an undamaged vinyl, but may not have a choice.

I have been growing orchids for 8 yrs. now, still consider myself a novice.

Appreciate your thoughts, Arthur.

Helga.

Bookmark   September 20, 2009 at 8:14PM
More Discussions
Orchid forum link
Hi Bob, This is the link you sent me. I hope it works. Thank...
tanie51
Brassavola "Little stars" vendor
Any suggestions for US vendors? A Google search found...
bea
Orchids, please help
Need help for my lost Orchid food. I used "Safer,...
woofcar
First Orchid!
Just bought my first orchid - a den-phal! I had never...
jeffatlanta (7b, Atlanta, GA)
Is bud blast of big-box store Phalaenopsis genetic?
I have Phals since grade six. In the last three years,...
jujujojo_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™