Ailment ID if possible

aachenelf z5 MplsSeptember 28, 2009

IÂm not sure when this ugliness first appeared, but I think about 1 ½ years ago. ItÂs only on the old PBÂs and none of the new growth since seems affected. I think the black blotches have gradually gotten larger, but rather slowly. The PBÂs are dry, still firm  no mushiness or anything like that. Black death? Sunburn? Any clues? IÂm actually kind of embarrassed by this since I usually take pretty good care of my plants.

Kevin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
xmpraedicta(3b Saskatoon)

I don't think it's sunburn, mainly based upon the patterning of the blotches ie those concentrated black blobs. I actually had a similar problem one year, when I decided to grow my plants out doors, and lots of my them acquired brown blobs on leaves and pbulbs. The brown patches remained quite dry and hard, but spread slowly. I got the infection under control by treating with phyton 27 (repeatedly). The patches turned completely dry, black, and stopped spreading.

I heard somewhere that bacterial infections typically spread quite quickly, and result in mushy patches due to the rapid necrosis and collapse of the cells, whereas fungal infections are slower and are not as mushy. Not sure if this is a hard set rule though. It seems strange that you've had this for over a year and it's still growing - that's really slow.

If it were my plant, since it looks like you have lots of pseudobulbs, I would cut one off and get it sent off to some university that can figure out whether something needs to be done about it.

Bookmark   September 28, 2009 at 6:00PM
More Discussions
The Office "Cursed Orchid"
At my old job that I left about two weeks ago, my boss...
Nicole
Dend potting medium
I was given 2 hard cane dends packed tightly together...
bea
Dog tumor?
Is there a reason the post below about a dog's tumor...
bea
Orchid potting mix?
Anyone ever used al's gritty mix as orchid potting...
Britni Rice
is orcid doomed? (is it doomed by over watering?
I have a Phalaenopsis orcid and I live in eastern Iowa...
Katie Parker
Sponsored Products
Simmons BeautySleep Happy Nights Foam Crib Mattress - M58980-3232
$88.46 | Hayneedle
Darlee Sedona Swivel Bar Stool with Sesame Patio Seat Cushion
$365.99 | Hayneedle
Tech Lighting | Rae 24-Inch Vanity Kit
$239.20 | YLighting
Traditional Crown Molding
CliqStudios Cabinets
Contour Cloud Mattress Pad - 20-101R-DS-360
$99.99 | Hayneedle