grey fuzz?

syrinth(5a)September 24, 2009

Ok so I put my Aeredovanda Kinnarree in a soda bottle with a sponge to increase the humidity around the plant. I put it in my South facing window but I guess it wasn't warm enough because Oh Dear God I found grey fuzz growing on the poor thing.

I promptly removed the fuzz by rubbing at it and rinsing it with warm water. It's currently sitting in front of said window, over a drainage tray and I've been spraying it with water. Should I be exceptionally worried?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
xmpraedicta(3b Saskatoon)

I don't do vase culture for anything, nor do I grow vandas, so maybe someone will chime in.

This happens sometimes - the experience I have is with sphag and bag, which is often 50/50 for me. Sometimes the plant recovers, and other times it just gets moldy! It's probably warmth, light, or just a prevalence of spores at the particular time of year...since we are talking about enclosed containers (in other words no air movement) this isn't too surprising, but it is unfortunate and gross.

Try spraying with hydrogen peroxide. I'd keep it out of the bottle for now...

Carol in Ontario grows these in a zone that is only a bit cooler than yours and I believe she has them just hanging out in baskets.

Bookmark   September 25, 2009 at 1:14AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arthurm(Sydney, NSW AUST)

Your plant is Aeridovanda Kinnaree and i do not think it will survive in a soda bottle.
Have you got a humidity gadget to get the readings in your house. In my opinion all this humidity stuff is overdone. Sweat on the brow, jungles and all that stuff.
There are two Phals in bloom in this room and though they are not the greatest phals you will ever see they are blooming. According to the humidity gadget the temperature is 23C and the humidity is 40%.
Outside is worse 23C and humidity 34%. Glasshouse is 24C and H still 40% but i am not growing tropical lowland plants in there.
You need advice from the locals.

Bookmark   September 25, 2009 at 1:31AM
More Discussions
my phalenopsis has a baby orchid on the stem
what do i do? I've never seen this before
ekkiemom
Orchids, please help
Need help for my lost Orchid food. I used "Safer,...
woofcar
How to repot Prosthechea radiata cochleata?
I purchased this plant (with the little shell-like...
meri10
V. Kriangkrai yellow
Hi these is the first V. Kriangkrai yellow i have....
yenika_zone10 Miami, Fl
my phalenopsis is dead or almost anythimg I can do
i hah a phal with air roots and regular roots. the...
ekkiemom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™