maxillaria Parviflora

orchidpunk(10b)October 18, 2010

I just got a maxillaria parviflora in the mail and it suffered on its shipping to me!!! It is a pendulous grower and the bulbs that are with roots are brown and not doing well. Will the bulbs that are hanging grow roots if I cut it off and remount the green bulbs. Any other info that you may be able to provide would be helpful.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
highjack(z6 KY)

I don't have the parviflora but many of the Max's climb with each new growth higher than the next.

I do mount these to climb up the mount. I wouldn't cut off the old pbulbs because you never know what they are capable of plus they supply nutrients to the newer growths. You may have to secure each new growth until the roots grab.

Some of the Max's can be really hard to contain.

Brooke

Bookmark   October 18, 2010 at 6:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
whitecat8(z4 MN)

My Max tenuifolia's staked in a pot. (I'll do 'most anything to avoid having another mountie. :)) The plant has sent out 2 new growths from the lowest, oldest green pbulbs, as well as from one of the newest at the top.

Beneath the green pbs are 2 brown, shriveled up pbs. As new roots have grown, they've kinda "buried" those 2, so they're down in the medium now. Maybe those need to be cut off. So far I haven't, and the plant seems happy - blooming and everything.

I hope your parviflora takes off.

Bookmark   October 19, 2010 at 3:25PM
More Discussions
It is show time!
Show season is in full swing. In my area I have noticed...
Darlene (GreenCurls)
Need help with my Ice Cube Orchid
I received an Ice Cube Orchid from a friend. It did...
DeLynn Kreinbrook
My Garden Orcs
Hi I wanted to share the heralding of Spring in the...
aztcqn
Short spikes? Causes?
I did get quite a few of my Phals to set spikes , but...
dakota01
This new format really stinks.
Where are the old posts if you want to look through...
vtandrea
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™