Ready to be potted up?

JoshTx(8a)January 20, 2014

I have two cuttings of Maggie that have a tangle of roots at the bottom of their cups. They've both put out new growth, quite aggressively I might add, and they are no longer covered baggies. They haven't been covered by baggies for a while, and they have not slowed down. What do y'all think?

Josh

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JoshTx(8a)

Here's a look at the bottom of one of the cups, if that helps. I have two Lamarque that are at about the same stage. Roots look very similar, but I haven't uncovered the Lamarque yet.

Should I continue to coddle them in their cups or should I pot them up to a one gallon?

Josh

Bookmark   January 20, 2014 at 11:56AM
Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a

I would pot them. Those are great looking roots!

Bookmark   January 20, 2014 at 3:37PM
JoshTx(8a)

Thanks for the advice Brittie! It's been a pleasant surprise to have such vigorous cuttings!

Josh

Bookmark   January 20, 2014 at 4:26PM
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

With those roots it would be torture for them to stay confined. They'll just keep going around and around and that's not what you want the roots to do. Kudos to you, Josh, for having succeeded in making your own little roses. Much cheaper!

Ingrid

Bookmark   January 20, 2014 at 4:32PM
seil zone 6b MI

Yes, pot them up but don't go to a huge pot. I'd only go to a one gallon at most. They look marvelous!

Bookmark   January 20, 2014 at 5:30PM
PortlandMysteryRose(8)

Ready for 1 gallon pots. Great job, rose papa Josh!

Bookmark   January 20, 2014 at 7:26PM
gnabonnand(Zone 8 Texas)

And Maggie is such a great rose. Congrats!

Bookmark   January 20, 2014 at 8:50PM
JoshTx(8a)

Excellent! I'm so excited to pot them up! These are the first I've ever successfully rooted. I now feel like a real rosarian. I can check off "Able to propagate" on my gardener resume.

Though, I wholeheartedly believe it had little to do with me. I was reading in Antique Roses for the South that Maggie is incredibly easy to root. Considering my novice status, I have no doubts the vigorousness of the cultivars was the key to success. I have some other less vigorous varieties in cups right now. We'll see if I can actually make regular cuttings take.

Thanks everyone!

Bookmark   January 20, 2014 at 9:27PM
poorbutroserich(Nashville 7a)

L'Hay wasn't built in a day! Congratulations!
Susan

Bookmark   January 21, 2014 at 11:01AM
stealthecrumbs

Those are some good looking roots! I find myself in awe of just how hardy roses can be. I lost a few to voles in the garden a couple of years ago. It was fall. They just fell over and when I went to pick up the sticks I could see the chewed off bottoms. I tossed the gnarly gnawed bits and pieces of most but for some reason threw a few stems of Sharifa Asma in a pot and forgot about her. Literally just shoved her in the dirt. The next spring lo and behold, she had regenerated and is now a nice little bush. Total novice luck I'm sure since I really have no idea how to take cuttings. I sure wish I'd tried it with the chewed up remains of the divine posthumous Buck rose Dawn Star that Chamblees no longer carries. Anyway, great roots!

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 9:41PM
More Discussions
I'm back!
Hello, friends! This is Robert from Virginia....formerly...
Robert zone 6 Cleveland
Hello All!
It's been about 4 yrs or so since I was last on this...
ealoudermilk1
Seven Sisters rose
This rose started with my Grandmother are may be my...
hubert
Missing friends
I notice that Father Jerome doesn't post here anymore,...
Rosefolly
The alba Jos├ęphine de Beauharnais (Vibert 1823)
In a recent mail to the Swedish Rose Society Odile...
mariannese
Sponsored Products
Indoor Ceiling Light with Fan: Hunter Savoy 52 in. Matte Black Ceiling Fan 20517
Home Depot
Diamond Sofa Avalon Right Facing Two Piece Chaise Sectional with Ottoman In Blac
Beyond Stores
32" Flue Cover for 30" Classico Series Stainless Steel Wall-Mount Range Hood
Signature Hardware
Tessuti Square Wall Sconce by Masiero
$414.00 | Lumens
Coral Coast Classic 19 x 18 in. Rocking Chair Seat Pad - M006-1-AFS029-SAGE GREE
$27.98 | Hayneedle
Matte Silver Wall Sconce 2-Light Fluorescent
PLFixtures
Indoor Ceiling Fans: Casablanca Whitman 54 in. Cherry Bronze Ceiling Fan C21G667
Home Depot
Table Runner
Home Decorators Collection
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™