Keep that eye protection on!

kittymoonbeamJanuary 10, 2014

Early this morning I was feeling fine. A pretty sunrise with no wind and I was ready to start pruning the really big roses in back. First up beauty Kathrine Morley who is over 10 feet tall. Things were going along fine until a cut piece twisted and stung me in the forehead. I didn't think much of it until I saw all the blood on my glove. I was wearing 2 pair. One soft goatskin and big gauntlet welding gloves over the top of them. I ran in thinking I had a big cut but luckily no. But it did make me glad I had eye protection on. Why do all the prettiest roses have to bite the most? I guess I need a hard hat for these tall ones.

Stay safe friends, you never know when a rose will bite.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ingrid_vc(Z10 SoCal)

A very timely reminder, Kitty. It was just yesterday that a twig of Le Vesuve, a rose that's viciously armed with tiny thorns, somehow hit my face near my eye, which made me think about the exact thing you're mentioning. It's so easy to forget about these things when we're absorbed in a task.

Ingrid

Bookmark   January 10, 2014 at 12:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

I'm glad to hear that neither of you was seriously injured. Pruning is still months away here but I'll have to put a sticky note on my pruners to remind me! Be safe everyone!

Bookmark   January 10, 2014 at 3:26PM
More Discussions
The Joys of Pre-Spring
Sorry that I can't address this to you unfortunates...
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
Felicite et Perpetue in a tree?
Does anyone near zone 7 have Felicite et Perpetue growing...
dindrane
Snow pictures
I'm not sure how many inches we got last night but...
erasmus_gw
'Prospero'
We just got back from two wonderful days camped at...
jerijen
Ladybug
Just a little orange ladybug combing my SdlM. The best...
Adam Harbeck
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™