Alba Semi-Plena own root vs. grafted

ratdogheads(5b NH)January 1, 2013

I've decided to grow Alba semi-plena next year. For this particular rose in my region, what are your thoughts on own root vs grafted?

The grafted plant would be from Palatine, so multiflora root stock. The own root would be from High Country. I haven't ordered from them before. I see they ship "quart-sized pots" (bigger than a band, I think?)

My only own root rose is a floribunda that I got as a band last summer. Hard to judge her yet. So far the vast majority of my successful roses have been bare root and grafted. The few plants that I've received as bands have been slow but healthy...we have such a short growing season.

Thanks,
Di

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mad_gallica(zone 5 - eastern New York)

For a vigorous and hardy rose like an alba, I'd say it doesn't matter over the long run. It's a decision I'd make based on purely transitory things like cost and whether a place had a minimum order. However, expect the own-root one to take 3-4 years to do what the grafted on will do in summer of '15.

IME, where the own-root vs grafted really matters is with roses that aren't cane hardy. The roses where a grafted on can have a good run for a few years before starting to dwindle. Those never seem to do anything, even if they luck into a few mild winters.

Bookmark   January 1, 2013 at 12:54PM
More Discussions
Dig a way of antique roses
I am disassembling my antique rose garden in Minnesota....
geodave
Potted Rose - Rose Storage Question
Hello, We are the process of a temporary and then permanent...
Desertgarden- Las Vegas, Z8b @ 2800 ft.
Water Usage (Again) . . .
Well! I see that, at long last, the Los Angeles Times...
odinthor
Canker questions
I was helping out at San Juan Bautista the other day,...
jill_perry_gw
Disappointed with Austin order...
I ordered some David Austin roses from Tyler Texas...
SoFL Rose z10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™