Hail-Damaged Cattleyas

garystpaul(4)October 30, 2010

Hi, folks. Two good-sized cattleyas, happily spending the summer outside, got ravaged by a hailstorm a month and a half ago. They still look awful. Can anyone tell me what I should do, maybe prune them some way? They've bloomed well for me in the past, but now that it's time to take them in for the winter, I'm not sure it's worth it. Will they overcome the damage on their own? Any suggestions appreciated. GaryStPaul

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
richardol(Santa Royale CA)

Unlikely that they won't survive. However, they may take some time to regain size. Do you have pictures?

If they were mine, I would do nothing until new growth started, then clean and repot. At least wait awhile before deciding about throwing them away.

Are there any leaves left?

Bookmark   October 31, 2010 at 1:49PM
Ginge(Mo.)

Year before last the same thing happened to some of my Catts.hail blew in under a canopy they were under . I watched the damaged leaves for rot, none showed up . They still look bad but in time I can divide off the damaged part .. Gin

Bookmark   October 31, 2010 at 8:49PM
orchid126(z6, NJ)

You might just wipe down the damaged leaves with a cotton ball dipped in hydrogen peroxide, and then hope for the best. The damage may be cosmetic. The damaged leaves are necessary for the health of the plant, so don't remove them unless they start to rot.

Bookmark   November 1, 2010 at 4:55PM
More Discussions
Is bud blast of big-box store Phalaenopsis genetic?
I have Phals since grade six. In the last three years,...
jujujojo_gw
Orchid IDs?
I got a few orchids within the months from places like...
fuzzballiscute
It is show time!
Show season is in full swing. In my area I have noticed...
Darlene (GreenCurls)
Short spikes? Causes?
I did get quite a few of my Phals to set spikes , but...
dakota01
Need help with my Ice Cube Orchid
I received an Ice Cube Orchid from a friend. It did...
DeLynn Kreinbrook
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™