Very cool window shelving for orchids, etc.

pricem11(z7 NC)November 24, 2008

Hi there,

I just wanted to share info about this very nice product I've recently come across to make the most of window space for my little collection of Neofinetas, Sedireas, Sophronitis, C. goeringii, D. moniliforme, etc.

These are plexiglass shelves suspended on a steel wire framwork that require only a small finishing nail in the top of a window moulding to mount and stabilize. The creator makes them to order in any number of ways and is a really nice guy to deal with. I'm attaching the link to his site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Window plant hanger

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
snasxs(7-8 VA)

Wow, I am green ...

Bookmark   November 24, 2008 at 10:28AM
pricem11(z7 NC)

They are cool aren't they? I'm jealous of your awesome Cymbidium collection, snaxs!

Just a disclaimer that occurs to me--I just happened across these shelves while surfing and wanted to share since they're such a cool solution for a lot of orchids. I have no business interest with the creator, except that I'd like to buy a unit for every window in my house!

Mark

Bookmark   November 24, 2008 at 10:57AM
Sheila(8b SW Texas)

Mark, those shelves are fabulous and so is your orchid collection! The scene out your windows is lovely too. Thx for posting.

Sheila :)

Bookmark   November 24, 2008 at 11:08AM
jane__ny(9-10)

I am tempted to order one. Seems expensive but I'm not sure what to order. Could you explain what you ordered? It appears you have the double shelf?

Please give the details of your set-up.

Thanks,
Jane

Bookmark   November 24, 2008 at 11:44AM
xmpraedicta(3b Saskatoon)

Those are really nice! I know Mike from michigan has some of these and they look really classy...fantastic find

Bookmark   November 24, 2008 at 11:49AM
pricem11(z7 NC)

Hi there Jane. These are three-tier, single shelves with the humidity trays. The between shelf spacing is 9 inches I believe. Would suggest that you decide which window you want to use, decide how low you'd like the bottom shelf to fall, and how high the tallest orchid will be (don't forget spikes) to determine the between-shelf spacing. You could do two, three, four shelves on one unit. I wanted my lowest shelf to be high enough that kitties wouldn't be tempted. ;-)

Bookmark   November 24, 2008 at 11:57AM
jane__ny(9-10)

Thanks, I think most of my plants are taller than 9 inches. I have baseboard heat under my windows which could also create a problem. Can you just use 2 shelves? I have mostly Catts and Oncids and some Phals. They are all big and 9" would not work.

Jane

Bookmark   November 24, 2008 at 8:49PM
tommyr_gw

IMHO over priced. I'll pass.

Bookmark   November 24, 2008 at 8:55PM
pricem11(z7 NC)

Jane, you can specify whatever spacing you like. These aren't ready made but rather are made to order with the exact dimensions you specify. I chose 9 inches because I'm using them for very small orchids. Tommy, for me, the price is totally worth what I would pay for a couple of nice Neos. To each his own though ;-).

Mark

Bookmark   November 25, 2008 at 8:09AM
bonnie_2006

I have to have these shelves!

Bookmark   December 13, 2008 at 8:39AM
treehaus(4)

I built some shelves that are somewhat similar to these. I went to IKEA to scope out the glass shelves they carry, having previously purchased a glass shelf from IKEA for my bathroom, and knowing that they often sell individual components of their products. I found glass shelves 15" in length, that had holes drilled on the ends. They were a steal at $2.50 for a pair. The window I wanted to install the shelves in is just shy of 30" wide, so it was ideal. So I used threaded rod, with nuts to hold the shelves at the desired height, and I just hung the whole thing from the ceiling. I made horizontal supports for the shelves out of aluminum channel. If I had not been lucky enough to find these glass pieces at IKEA for the price I did I would probably not have been able to make shelves like this.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Glass shelves

Bookmark   December 14, 2008 at 3:52AM
pricem11(z7 NC)

Mazel tov Mike! These are absolutely spectacular. I feel an IKEA run coming on.

Mark

Bookmark   December 14, 2008 at 1:05PM
Whovian

So awesome Mike! I love the Ikea hack!

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 8:26PM
More Discussions
Spotted-leaf Lady Slipper?
I just bought a couple out-of-bloom orchids at my local...
litchfieldgardener
Short spikes? Causes?
I did get quite a few of my Phals to set spikes , but...
dakota01
Habenaria radiata tubers/corms? picture
On the gallery side, I said I would post a picture...
aachenelf z5 Mpls
First Orchid!
Just bought my first orchid - a den-phal! I had never...
jeffatlanta (7b, Atlanta, GA)
Orchids, please help
Need help for my lost Orchid food. I used "Safer,...
woofcar
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™