Height of Reine des Violettes in a Dry Climate

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9January 21, 2014

I received my RdV two days ago from Greenmantle Nursery and it will go in the ground today. Placement is a bit of a problem since this was something of an impulse purchase and this is not a rose I can plop just anywhere because of its size and its need for afternoon shade. I've picked out a spot about 1 1/2 yards in front of Mutabilis, my only fear being that it may get as tall as M, which I would not want. M is just about the only rose in my garden that has attained its expected height. All of my teas are still relatively short compared to what others have reported. I now suspect (took me only 7 years) that when the platform of the house was cut into the side of the hill there was precious little if any topsoil left and this, in addition to the heat, has caused the poor performance of so many of my roses. There's not a whole lot more I can do now than to mulch with organic matter, leaves and rabbit droppings to attempt to improve the situation.

I was wondering whether any of you are growing Reine des Violettes in hot and dry conditions, and what height your rose has achieved. It seems to be a large sprawler in more humid, rainy environments, but I would like to keep mine at not much over five feet. Does that seem like a feasible possibility?

Ingrid

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

I am NOT in a dry climate at all but my RdV is huge! It's at least 10 feet tall and probably 6 feet wide and that's tied up, as best I can, to a trellis. I have no idea how much it might spread if it weren't tied. She is just gorgeous though when she blooms and you can smell her from across the yard!

Bookmark   January 21, 2014 at 2:54PM
ogrose_tx

Our climate is hot and humid, my RDV is just over 5' tall and about 3' wide, rather upright in growth. Got this adult plant from Eurodesert when they were closing, and really love the blooms. I do prune it down quite a bit in February, one of the few ogrs that I do prune. This has so far kept the size in bounds. It's on the east side of the house, gets afternoon shade.

Bookmark   January 21, 2014 at 3:32PM
Kippy(SoCal zone 10. Sunset Zone 24)

Mine is on a tutor and about 4-5 feet tall and only going on 3 years old

Bookmark   January 21, 2014 at 3:51PM
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Thank you for your replies. I think that given my conditions I can probably keep it at the height ogrose has hers, which would be perfect.

Ingrid

Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 6:31PM
rosefolly

Reine des Violettes hardly grew for me at all, and I gave it about 4 years to show its stuff. Chlorotic all the time. I don't know if it was the alkaline soil or the salts in our water. YMMV, and I do hope it does. At its best it is a glorious rose. I really wanted it to do well.

Rosefolly

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 11:45AM
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Thanks for sharing your experience, rosefolly. All I can do is hope that it will be happier here. At any rate, I've wanted to try it for years and at least I'll know with certainty that I wasn't meant to have it. Right now it's three bare, smooth canes, not a sign of anything positive yet, but I'm hopeful. I'll give an update here in the spring.

Ingrid

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 12:34PM
More Discussions
Help me identify this lost old rose
I discovered this beautiful rose growing in the yard...
Lucija Buonarotti
Poorbutroserich update
Hi. It's me, Susan, just checking in. Due to forum...
roserich
Queen of Sweden song
With apologies to Cab Calloway -- "I had a dream...
Sylvia Weiser Wendel
ID great great grandma's rose
Hello! I was advised to ask for help on this page when...
Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
looking for McGredy's Yellow
Any one out there know of a source for McGredy's yellow,...
fleabie
Sponsored Products
Yellow & Blue Small Zigzag Horizon Rug
$29.99 | zulily
Murano Glass Lovebirds
$369.00 | FRONTGATE
Mason Aged Brass Eight-Light Chandelier with White Shade
Bellacor
Congress Oil Rubbed Bronze 11-Inch One-Light Sconce
$149.00 | Bellacor
Marina 8 Piece Outdoor Patio Teak Sofa Set in Natural White
$1,907.00 | LexMod