newb alert: whats my orchid doing?!

shodorov(7)November 27, 2010

Got this at home depot about 6 months ago. It lost its flowers about 3 months ago so I cut off the stalk and kept watering it... we just got back from a vacation to discover these runners(?) There are at least 15 of them both above the potting mix level and below (see pic)

what do I need to do next?

thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaktuskris

Those are new roots! What media are you growing it in? Bottom leaves look a bit limp. How often do you water it?

Christopher

Bookmark   November 27, 2010 at 10:46AM
donaldb(5B Worcester, MA)

Roots they are. Here in Masachusetts all my phals are potted in sphagnum and are allowed to go almost dry then are watered. They all are in slotted, unglazed clay pots and are presently either in bud or flowering.
Good luck. As far as cutting the stem after they flower you should wait until the stem drys out before cutting.

Bookmark   November 27, 2010 at 11:31AM
kate724(6)

Beautiful roots. I have never let my spike dry out. I cut them off as soon as the flowers die or I'm tired of them. I do not want a reflowering spike. I want fresh new spikes each year.

Good growing!

Jane

Bookmark   November 27, 2010 at 11:55PM
shodorov(7)

there are no around 20+ of these... do I need to repot it in something bigger? the medium is whatever it came in from Home Depot... looks like coarse bark of some sort.

Bookmark   December 2, 2010 at 7:33PM
jane__ny(9-10)

You have good healthy roots. You can continue to do whatever you are doing, the plant appears healthy. I would wait until Spring to repot unless the mix looks broken down and soggy. The pot size is fine, don't go bigger.

What zone are you in?

Jane

Bookmark   December 2, 2010 at 9:40PM
More Discussions
Exchange forum
Is the exchange forum still sponsored on Houzz? If...
Darlene (GreenCurls)
It is show time!
Show season is in full swing. In my area I have noticed...
Darlene (GreenCurls)
Orchid forum link
Hi Bob, This is the link you sent me. I hope it works. Thank...
tanie51
Orchids, please help
Need help for my lost Orchid food. I used "Safer,...
woofcar
Dendrobium in potting moss
I have this two new babies in my collection. I noticed...
yenika_zone10 Miami, Fl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™