Hybrid Albas?

JoshTx(8a)January 31, 2014

I've seen many mentions of Hybrid Chinas that were derived from Gallica/China crosses. Mr. Lowery of Vintage was a big fan of them. However I am curious if there are any such crosses using Albas? I've always admired the Albas, with their ethereal blooms and magical grace. However due to my zoning I seriously doubt they would live here. An Alba hybrid may be the closest thing I could grow while I reside in Texas, but I'm not even sure it's a possibility genetically.

Thanks!

Josh

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mad_gallica(zone 5 - eastern New York)

Albas are much more difficult to breed with than gallicas. So there aren't nearly as many.

One hybrid alba you should probably try is Madame Plantier.

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 5:27PM
JoshTx(8a)

Gallica,

HMF has Mme. Plantier listed as a cross between R. Damascena 'Mill.' X R. Moschata 'Herm.'

Would that truly count as an Alba Hybrid?

Josh

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 5:35PM
mad_gallica(zone 5 - eastern New York)

There are sites besides HMF.

Google is your friend.

This is the first I've heard of Madame Plantier as a Damask hybrid. Seriously, the more usual listing replaces the R. damascena with R. alba.

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 6:01PM
gothiclibrarian(5b)

Several Austen roses are alba hybrids.

Great write-up by Rick here: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roses/msg100002585603.html

I know no information to share on my own, but I've had this thread bookmarked for a long time :D

Good luck! I adore albas...there's just something about the blue-green leaves that I find really appealing.

Cheers!
~Anika

Bookmark   February 2, 2014 at 7:34AM
AquaEyes 7a New Jersey

The oldest references call 'Mme Plantier' a Hybrid China or Hybrid Noisette. In-person, I see (and smell) recent 'R. moschata' ancestry in there somewhere.

'Mme Plantier' is listed as being triploid, which pretty much negates the possibility of it being an Alba hybrid. Owing to their 'R. canina' ancestry, Albas breed with unbalanced meiosis. If an Alba was the pollen parent and a Noisette or 'R. moschata' was the seed parent, the resulting rose would be diploid. If the reverse parentage occurred, the result would probably be pentaploid or hexaploid, like many Albas -- but at least tetraploid. A triploid once-blooming 'Mme Plantier' suggests one non-Alba tetraploid parent and (based on the rose's appearance) one Noisette or other 'R. moschata' derived diploid parent.

I think the Alba attribute got attached simply because it's a once-blooming fragrant white-flowered rose that didn't easily fit into other European OGR classes -- but it doesn't really look or grow like the other Albas, which all show some 'R. canina' characteristics.

:-)

~Christopher

Bookmark   February 2, 2014 at 2:18PM
mariannese

The alba hybrids by the German hybridizer Rolf Sievers, creator of the Blush series come to mind. They are bred with a mixture of old-fashioned and Kordesii roses. A friend of mine, Helena Verghese Borg, grows most of the Blush roses and they are all lovely. I think I like Tender Blush the best. She's put up several photos on HMF of her Blush roses.

Bookmark   February 2, 2014 at 4:45PM
More Discussions
I'm back!
Hello, friends! This is Robert from Virginia....formerly...
Robert zone 6 Cleveland
new garden bed - mixing pink roses
The cool autumn nights are here, so I think it might...
Adam Harbeck
Poorbutroserich update
Hi. It's me, Susan, just checking in. Due to forum...
roserich
The "Spring Flush"
Oh my. I can only hope yours is/will be better. I...
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
Missing friends
I notice that Father Jerome doesn't post here anymore,...
Rosefolly
Sponsored Products
Hopson Leather U-Chaise Sectional - Brighton Parrot Red
Joybird Furniture
Hudson Valley Lighting | Hampton 10 Inch Ceiling Light
$418.00 | YLighting
Gloss Table Lamp by Pablo Designs
$355.00 | Lumens
Bover | Alba 02 Wall Light
$749.00 | YLighting
Polished Nickel Hybrid Mini Pendant
Lamps Plus
Hudson Valley Alba Modern Contempo Table Lamp
1800Lighting
Spring Air Back Supporter Four Seasons Euro Top Mattress and Box A & E Spring Se
Hayneedle
Studio Bathe Bathroom Alba 63 in. Vanity in Chai with Marble Vanity Top in Chai
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™