Rhy gigantea culture?

orchid_123(z7)November 20, 2010

I live in MD, and I grow my plants on my windowsills during winter, and during summer, I move some of them outside. I really like vanda-type orchids, but unfortunately I don't have the extreme high light and high humidity to grow them...well, most of them. Then I heard that Rhychostylis gigantea isn't as "demanding" as the vandas. Do you think I have the conditions to grow it?

During winter, it's 65-70 deg F and during summer, it's around 80 deg F indoors (outdoors, it can get much warmer during summer). Humidity is around 40-50%. I have windows in all directions. If I get one it'll have to be in a basket so I don't know if my conditions are too dry.

If you have any tips/advice I'd greatly appreciate them!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stitzelweller(Md)

Unless you live in far Western Md, your conditions will work well, if you keep the night temp in at least the mid 60's F.

I successfully flowered two different ones, one in an apartment in Bethesda, the other in a townhouse in Rockville, both with outstanding light. The temps in both places was warm/intermediate.

When I moved into my own house more than 20 yrs ago, I ran into trouble. The night temp never went below 60F, per the thermostat. Apparently, this isn't acceptable to this species. I did a follow-up from the same vendor and I received identical results. I think that this species prefers minimum temps at least 65F, if not higher.

Where in Md are you located? There is a remarkable variety of climates in our State!

GOOD LUCK!

--Stitz--

Bookmark   November 20, 2010 at 4:40PM
orchid_123(z7)

Thank you for the reply! I live in Montgomery County. I'll be careful not to let the temp get below 65 deg. I think I might move it upstairs where it's slightly warmer.

Do you suppose it'll be happy outdoors during summer? I think since it'll be in a basket it'll be nice to hang from a tree. I have a bright area where I grow cymbidiums.

Bookmark   November 21, 2010 at 5:52PM
stitzelweller(Md)

it will love it outdoors. do it gradually. these plants are tolerant of light however, they also sunburn easily if the light is introduced too quickly before the plants acclimate. I know. I made the mistake!

wow! you are growing cyms in mungumm'ry county!! Merritt would love you for that. :)

Bookmark   November 22, 2010 at 6:34AM
More Discussions
orid lighting examples with pics/ how do you use orcid bloom enhance
Could some people post a pic of where they keep their...
Katie Parker
Laelia (Cattleya) Purpurata var anelata
My big purpurata blooms in May for me. It has one...
Boby Huffard
Should I take the Orchid plunge???
We recently moved to Costa Rica from the states and...
dreamskape
My Garden Orcs
Hi I wanted to share the heralding of Spring in the...
aztcqn
Best way to grow vanilla orchid?
My vanilla cutting is starting get long so it's time...
kyrri
Sponsored Products
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Surya Rugs Smithsonian Brick 2 ft. 6 in. x 8 ft.
Home Depot
Kartell | Invisible Coffee Table, Rectangle
YLiving.com
Beige 6.5-Inch Holiday Plaid Bowknot Throw Pillow
$27.99 | Bellacor
Madsen Leather Loveseat - Brighton Volcano Brown
Joybird Furniture
Beaded Elegance Sconce
$785.00 | Horchow
MatterMade | Spine Quilt
YLiving.com
People viewed this after searching for: